pva/final skim advice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOOLLSY

Hi all,

I recently boarded over my artex ceiling (thanks for all the advice btw)

I had my first go at skimming it yesterday. I got the first coat up okay... I think. But ran out of time and was not able to put the final coat on.

It looks not too bad.. a few hollows to fill and a bit of 'bobbling' here and there. I may have started flattening it down a little late.
(Tip for newbies...don't forget to turn of your dehumidifier while plastering. It wont help matters !) :huh:

My question is. Can I pva it and put one final coat on, or will it need a full skim?

what do you mean you didnt have time to put the final coat on??

put the first coat on and when its covered go back to the beginning and put the second coat on (face it up)

im taking it that you did it the other day! with very watered down pva, pva it then just before you start give it another coat of the pva because it will be very DRY. the bobbling you speak of are they like little bubbles? if so, if you get them this time dont worry because they will come out on the last pass over. best of look

it reads and sounds from what you are saying a complete mess/disaster, my advice is get a plasterer in to sort it out,why do people attempt these jobs when they have no idea at all what to do, .

how did you get hollows in 2-3mm

Sounds like you were on the Generation Game, run oout of time, didn`t know the game and now looking for a Brucie Bonus

I agree with all the above..

Is my first attempt though and I had to bond out a curve in the ceiling then skim over that. (which worked pretty good) the ceiling is also too high too reach without a step up or stilts! So I could not have picked much worse for my first diy job.

In retrospect I would certainly have got a plasterer in but have already spent time and money so am gonna persevere.

I previously struggled to justify shelling out for you guys to come and do the job.

Now I can see your worth every penny.

I agree with all the above..

Is my first attempt though and I had to bond out a curve in the ceiling then skim over that. (which worked pretty good) the ceiling is also too high too reach without a step up or stilts! So I could not have picked much worse for my first diy job.

In retrospect I would certainly have got a plasterer in but have already spent time and money so am gonna persevere.

I previously struggled to justify shelling out for you guys to come and do the job.

Now I can see your worth every penny.

Give it a coat of paint, then get friendly with a bag of easyfill.

belt sander.............wear goggles and a mask...safety is paramount :RpS_thumbup:

pull it all down and reboard:RpS_thumbup: mix the multi with some cream of tarta

Thanks all,

I did a full reskim and got it right this time. looks ok . I did use cream of tartar to give myself a bit extra time too.

Tomato sauce, was a recent top tip on the forum, slowed setting time right down, gives u a day or two to flatten off and polish up:RpS_thumbup: worst tip was pissin in ure mix???? I would never do that, that's just daft!! Speeds up the settin time rapid like:flapper:

whats all this about tomato sauce and 2 coats of plaster???? if you dont already use a sponge , then you should!! it gives a much better finish with no horrible water marks all over , and it allows you more time because you let the plaster nearly go off before you sponge it , and it brings the plaster back to life before you take the fat off, tomato sauce?? fair enough if your not that quick , but a pro plasterer shouldnt need that , and if you knock your mix up semi thick you only have to give it one coat and then flatten in before your ready for the sponge, but in relation to your question , yeah you would have to do a full reskim , but if its not that bad you could always paint your ceiling white , that would magnify all your scabs and trowel marks , get some easy fill over it sand down and its job done my friend , but yes us good plasterers are worth our money , theres loads of plasterers nowadays but good ones are hard to come by

Just started on this site, what with the tartar sauce s**t,I must be getting old
Hi eel.some adults on here give thier pass words tothier children i think.talk of tartar sauce tomatoes etc very funny arent they?)

Status
Not open for further replies.