Putting beads up.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.p.t plastering

When you lads put your beads up, do you always put your heads up frist? then your uprights? or the other way round?

Mainly for external and roughing beads, but and skim beads.

My bro always puts his uprights up frist, then sits the angle bead on top of them for the head.

But other spreads iv'e worked with always put heads up frist, and say that way you can't go wrong.

I always like to put heads up frist, and thought this was thye right way.

i find it therapeutic! and i always always ALWAYS do head first. don't know why though...

i always do uprights first, don't know if its correct but its how i was taught and it works for me.

So for those that put the head beads up first supposing the window is out of level, do you run your side beads level with the window or with the wall?

If the way your saying and the window frame which sometimes happens is out of level your side beads may well not meet up with your head bead, doing both side beads first you can't go wrong.

Dutchy said:
So for those that put the head beads up first supposing the window is out of level, do you run your side beads level with the window or with the wall?

If the way your saying and the window frame which sometimes happens is out of level your side beads may well not meet up with your head bead, doing both side beads first you can't go wrong.

Which then if both frame and wall are out you then have to decide what to do, generally i split it.

I've always been taught side beads first.

richardbrown said:
i hate beading .... hate it hate it hate it

I love beading......love it love it love it

On the last two decent sized sites I've done (550 houses) I beaded every single house.
I always do the uprights first. If there is a row of windows then I will put a string line through to make sure everything runs true.

essexandy said:
richardbrown said:
i hate beading .... hate it hate it hate it

I love beading......love it love it love it

On the last two decent sized sites I've done (550 houses) I beaded every single house.
I always do the uprights first. If there is a row of windows then I will put a string line through to make sure everything runs true.

I remember working for this plasterer who had a few blokes on.

And we was traditional rendering some timber frame homes in dorchester, frist time he had used this system, we had to nail this mesh with paper on the back of it, all over the timber frame buildings, then give it two scratch coats before topping out.

And we had to use those plastic profile beads. But on the back of the flats, there was like 5 3 meter wide french windows in a row, on both levels, plus loads of other windows, plus they wanted a stop bead against the window and one on the corner on every window, plus the bellcasts.

Never seen so much beading, plus expansion joints.

But the french windows, trying to get the 3 meter beads on the heads to stay up over the mesh with paper was a nightmare, plus string them all in.

He seriously under estimated how long it would take to finish that job, evan the mesh was a nightmare to cut, snips wouldn't touch it.

lucius said:
Worth getting a laser Andy if you are doing that much.
Lucius.

Funny you should say that lucius, I had a nice new one turn up yesterday, more for screeding than beading to be honest but I may give it a try. I must admit I do like the worried look on the brickies faces as I get my 8ft level out of the van :D

i nearly bought a hilti lazer the other day but when i took it outside you couldnt really see it.

do you use one lucius ???? how do you use it ???

uprights first you can lose your levels if the beads run too tight or over the sills off youre head

I use the De walt dwo87k cross line laser for inside work Rich, it is primarily for MF ceilings but can be used for plumbing and leveling anything from kitchens to tiling virtualy anything i believe screwfix are selling them now though i bought a couple 3 years ago on ebay from a bloke in Ireland for a good price, for outside work you realy need an invisible beam laser with receiver, i also have a Makita rotary visible beam laser for screeds etc.
Lucius.

Funny you should say that lucius, I had a nice new one turn up yesterday, more for screeding than beading to be honest but I may give it a try. I must admit I do like the worried look on the brickies faces as I get my 8ft level out of the van :D
[/quote]

thats cause they dONT know what one IS used for andy ;o0

They don't on the extension I'm doing at the mo, it's shocking!!! 2" out of plumb on the internal blocks over 2.5m!! Also looks like Mr Bloby has run into a couple of the walls with the bellies in 'em!!

Dutchy said:

Get a grip of the customer or boss, point out the dilema, and make them make the decision, that way if someone spots it, it aint your fault.

nelly said:
Dutchy said:
So for those that put the head beads up first supposing the window is out of level, do you run your side beads level with the window or with the wall? gud shout nelly. always plum and level beads if sumfings out point it out to the govner and let them decide if they want plum beads or beads that run in line with what ever is out. ( key to plastering if it looks right it is right. ;))

Get a grip of the customer or boss, point out the dilema, and make them make the decision, that way if someone spots it, it aint your fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.