Property Care Association Surveyor

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been looking at damp over this weekend trying to add more strings to my bow kind of. are any of you surveyors for the PCA you can do a three day coarse and then you are a Assessed Damp and Timber Surveeyor. it costs around six or seven hundred pounds or a bit more if you do the mock training etc. And then about 500 hundred pounds to become a member etc. Sounds really good i would be able to do damp surveys and charge around two hundred pounds for each maybe phone around estate agents and solicitors who do buying houses in case a damp problem comes up with a mortgage. do any of you do this and is it as good as it sounds. thanks:RpS_biggrin:

Make sure you have insurance cover , you could get done big-time if there is a problem and you have given an assurance that its ok........

just diagnose i think. it says on the site that you will be backed by their insurers if you are a member. sounds great i thought you had to train for years

uhm ..... it's like the damp mafia, dave. loads of vested interests in the pca. directors with interests in different brands and treatments, yet they put themselves across as regulating the industry and being above board. it's a fcuking joke, dave. wheels within wheels, greased hands etc. why a surveyor who has trained for three or four years should recommend seeking the advice of someone who has trained for three or four days is beyond me. but in answer to your question, go ahead and do it. why not. it doesn't look like anyone is going to rock the boat and you could be doing for years to come. someone else would need to advise as to whether you can make a living from it. sounds a bit like those people who trained for those stupid energy things labour bought in and then pulled. if it's any good, dave, let me know. i might go for it myself :RpS_thumbup:

Well good luck with that, I have been in the damp profession if you can call it that for well over 15 years and am still learning.

You need a good knowledge of how to treat/detect the problems before you go around charging for damp and timber reports.

I have even got a BTEC national in building surveying, something that is far more in depth than a 3 day sales seminar and a multiple choice tick box exam.

My advice to you is maybe get some experience in Damp/timber treatment, and as for going around getting work from estate agents etc haha you really are green, that is a closed shop and unless you have the right handshake then you will be like the rest of us and be giving second prices.

Good luck with your future choices, but trust me if you make mistakes on surveys then you will be in court.

i have been looking at damp over this weekend trying to add more strings to my bow kind of. are any of you surveyors for the PCA you can do a three day coarse and then you are a Assessed Damp and Timber Surveeyor. it costs around six or seven hundred pounds or a bit more if you do the mock training etc. And then about 500 hundred pounds to become a member etc. Sounds really good i would be able to do damp surveys and charge around two hundred pounds for each maybe phone around estate agents and solicitors who do buying houses in case a damp problem comes up with a mortgage. do any of you do this and is it as good as it sounds. thanks:RpS_biggrin:

Good luck for your future customers, because they are going to need it.

How are you gonna charge £200 each survey ?. You need to be in with building surveyors who do them for estate agents, and you need the knowledge to shoot holes in there surveys cos most of them aint got a scooby doo. but when other damp companies are doing surveys for nowt your never gonna be able to charge £200.

Dave can I ask how long you have been a tradesman/ plasterer?

As far as I know you need to be CRST surveyor to join the PCA or at least one of the surveyors on your firm need to be.

So you need to pay them to become qualified. Then pay them again to join there club. Then pay every year to keep in there club.

Ots just money money money.

Status
Not open for further replies.