Problems with Skim Coat on Plasterboard

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaswalla

I recently had two ceilings plastered. Just noticed fine bubbling in some places and blistering. In a room I have had completely skimmed (again direct to plasterboard) I have noticed very poor level of finish. Corners are rough and grid pattern of the jointing tape is visible along a few of the inside corners, in terms of skim thickness the coat look extremely thin (less than 1mm in places!).

Can anyone offer advice. Are these signs of a professional plasterer, or am I being too 'picky'?

Next time you have a plasterer in have a look in his tool bucket if its full of sponges call crimestoppers,

Did you go for the cheapest quote?

The plasterer was not the cheapest (although he did about 2/3 of average). Quote was 500 - 600 based on skimming 2 ceilings (approx 3x4m & 2.5m) running over the respective wall joints which are already taped with 1 pass of compound, and skimming completely 1 room @ 1m x 2.5m & 2nd room @ 3m x 3m. I would be interested to hear if the amount was too cheap...?

zipper-mouth_zpscdac7d8a.png

The plasterer was not the cheapest (although he did about 2/3 of average). Quote was 500 - 600 based on skimming 2 ceilings (approx 3x4m & 2.5m) running over the respective wall joints which are already taped with 1 pass of compound, and skimming completely 1 room @ 1m x 2.5m & 2nd room @ 3m x 3m. I would be interested to hear if the amount was too cheap...?

Your ears might like the sound of a good deal but your eyes will see the difference afterwards :)

What is a fair price to pay?

We don't discuss prices on this forum. Whenever a quote is cheaper than other quotes you have received, it means that the spread is going to cut corners to make up the difference or he's someone that's not very skilled and can't achieve a good finish. He's kept in business by the fact that he is cheaper :)

definitely not done by a plasterer, one coat or otherwise, a handy man who was not too handy it appears, shame to waste that money, report him to trading standards ..

We don't discuss prices on this forum. Whenever a quote is cheaper than other quotes you have received, it means that the spread is going to cut corners to make up the difference or he's someone that's not very skilled and can't achieve a good finish. He's kept in business by the fact that he is cheaper :)

That's just not true. I've won many jobs over the years by being the cheapest quote, but I've probably made better money than those pricing against me just by being quicker/more efficient with no corners being cut. I've also seen some really poor quality work by people charging considerably more than myself.

I recently had two ceilings plastered. Just noticed fine bubbling in some places and blistering. In a room I have had completely skimmed (again direct to plasterboard) I have noticed very poor level of finish. Corners are rough and grid pattern of the jointing tape is visible along a few of the inside corners, in terms of skim thickness the coat look extremely thin (less than 1mm in places!).

Can anyone offer advice. Are these signs of a professional plasterer, or am I being too 'picky'?
just out of interest, how do you know this ? did you knock some off to test it ? is it at the bottom (skirting line) ?

Scrim sowing through can sometimes happen even to the best of plasterers, it also depends on how good the boarding is done as @spunky has said post some pics so we are not going of the image in our heads, it's impossible to give advice on something we can't see

Last edited by a moderator:
just out of interest, how do you know this ? did you knock some off to test it ? is it at the bottom (skirting line) ?

Scrim sowing through can sometimes happen even to the best of plasterers, it also depends on how good the boarding is done as @spunky has said post some pics so we are not going of the image in our heads, it's impossible to give advice on something we can't see
I don't think so Kev. There is no excuse for scrim showing through and anyone who gets it wants a boot up the hoop.IF the boarding is crap sort it out before you start .

I guess that is a fair point on the price which I respect. I know rates in general for trades vary by region.

The scrim consistently shows through...I will take some pics! Worth noting that the boarding was level on new studwork.

If you knew what you're doing you could answer the question that's all im after super spread

Or maybe you don't know what you're doing its only a bit of skimming mate what's the matter lol

it was a question fatarm why are you liking my post? Tell us how you know he used a sponge and one coated
feck knows spunks , I'm only a supposedly plasterer.
I liked your post cause I knew you would be along to defend the sponge.:RpS_lol:
.ffs. your a bitey barstuard tonight? You had a tuff day?.... or you just tired:rolleyes)

And that people is how easy it is for plasterers who are probably ruff as **** can try and slag off another method and havent got a clue how to do it themselves

Ha ha ive spent 25 years listening to how everyone can do the job that bit better or faster but ive yet to meet the man who can do both, maybe its you spunky but i doubt it.:RpS_drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.