problems troweling

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not really. It's better to control the suction so you can go through the processes required to get the best finish.

Just a thought but if you don't clean your trowel often enough the fat build up can leave streaks on the wall that can be difficult to remove if ya don't know what you are doing. Failing that stop W*$%@?G up the wall :RpS_scared:

Like to know how you control the suction on hardwall to be similar to going over gloss painted wall :RpS_thumbsup:

PVA it if it's too dry and you put slightly less on, waiting times different between trowels etc.

Very rarely do I not give finish a dry, 2 wets then finish with a dry. That is when I'm 2 coating of course.

PVA it if it's too dry and you put slightly less on, waiting times different between trowels etc.

Very rarely do I not give finish a dry, 2 wets then finish with a dry. That is when I'm 2 coating of course.

You four trowel everything Danny? When skimming on S&C I'll often get a decent finish with just two trowels and it's very very rare for me to give anything more than three trowels.
And do you really PVA Hardwall? I love working on suction, in fact I much prefer it to skimming onto board.

You four trowel everything Danny? When skimming on S&C I'll often get a decent finish with just two trowels and it's very very rare for me to give anything more than three trowels.
And do you really PVA Hardwall?

Yeah, if it's dry. Not the same day though.

Four trowels most of the time yes, Very rarely have I skimmed S&C but I remember it being the dogs bollox to skim.

Yeah, if it's dry. Not the same day though.

Four trowels most of the time yes, Very rarely have I skimmed S&C but I remember it being the dogs bollox to skim.

Ah right, can't ever remember leaving Hardwall until the next daybut I'd imagine it'd be rather dry lol.
If you've used the right sand and mixes skimming S&C is unbeatable IMO.

Its all just horses for courses really ,you have to work with what you've got and we could go on for ever about the wrong way or the right way to trowel finish .at the end of the day experience will get you through but f it does go pear shaped and you **** it up just PVA and re skim .

Surely waiting times between trowels are different because the suction is different ????

I believe Thistle put instruction on there bags now about times. Have they no faith in the british plasterer - or they just trying to open up their market to the householder????

Yeah thats what i said. It's all about timing and putting the right amount on so you can control it and adequately trowel to give a good finish.:)

i put the amount that is required to make the wall flat/straight/plumb/watever.....not as to control the amount of time it takes to trowel up!!

think i understand ya point tho,sort off....but i find in refurb work,every other wall is different....:rolleyes)

Oooook:RpS_drool:

could be number of things

laying in to quick and 1st coat hasnt set and is moving

spraying to much water i never use spray bottle seen blokes using them to much water for mutli

or even applying you plaster to thick

I remember carlite, in those days you could put a ceiling on and a couple of walls then sit down for your tea before troweling.. (recently relived that on moisture resist boards).
Usually it's a scratch coat (if its taking in quick I'll flatten it) when that's took in I'll lay it in, give it a wet trowel when ready, another wet to finish and a dry to polish.
And if the decorators have annoyed you it gets a few more polishes ;)

No disrespect intended, but anyone who has to even ask advice on what I would class the very basics of the game is no plasterer. After 6 months or less of my apprenticeship I wouldn't have asked that question, I'm bewildered, but I don't want to come across as non helpful so my input is this; we lay on first coat, then the second coat probably use around a quarter of the amount of skim we used on first coat, close in or as some people term in flatten in as we apply second coat. Let sit for a few minutes if possible, trowel with little or no water, let sit again, trowel with bit more water, we use a brush, if it needs one more it gets it if not we give it a dry polish when coloured, pretty basic stuff.

No disrespect intended, but anyone who has to even ask advice on what I would class the very basics of the game is no plasterer. After 6 months or less of my apprenticeship I wouldn't have asked that question, I'm bewildered, but I don't want to come across as non helpful so my input is this; we lay on first coat, then the second coat probably use around a quarter of the amount of skim we used on first coat, close in or as some people term in flatten in as we apply second coat. Let sit for a few minutes if possible, trowel with little or no water, let sit again, trowel with bit more water, we use a brush, if it needs one more it gets it if not we give it a dry polish when coloured, pretty basic stuff.

So basically you two coat, one dry, one wet then then adry when its hard as fook........I bet that looks rough as

Never left a rough wall in my life, the closing in trowel is done with little or no water so as not to fill any holes or blemishes with water as opposed to skim, too much water too early in the process will leave water marks as we call them when wall/ ceiling is finished. You'd be better not doing any betting you'd loose a fortune if that's how you predict results.

And if you read the post correctly it gets 3 trowels or 4 if necessary, only difference is the water on first hit is limited or non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.