Primers

Members online

I remember not getting on with blue grit as it didn't control suction too well (febond I think it was) is that still the case?
I’ve never had any issues with suction control using blu grit , but I do cane the walls/ceilings with it , probably us twice more than I should ! The only reason I don’t use it is because it’s hard to spread

The bostic plasterer's primer says to SBR before application. I'm thinking all these grits need SBR prior if surface is dry. All these grits say for low suction, so there is solution I guess, plus SBR is quick drying so get it on then top off with grit. I carry 24inch fan so that will help.

cant see why people would go to the expense of using a grit on high suction anyway? if the suctions mental i find a coat of bog standard stabilising solution followed by a coat of pva gets it about right and you dont need the grit..
stabilising solution is still pretty pricey stuff though tbf

cant see why people would go to the expense of using a grit on high suction anyway? if the suctions mental i find a coat of bog standard stabilising solution followed by a coat of pva gets it about right and you dont need the grit..
stabilising solution is still pretty pricey stuff though tbf
But your using/paying for two different materials plus going over the area at least twice instead of once

The grit I use can be watered down so spreads nice over high suction, kills it enough to be controllable when skimming.

Brush , it’s less messy , but u use more , I find with a roller I don’t get enough even spread of grit ( aggregate). Especially on very non porous surfaces, it just slides !

Same I use a brush, it gets into the artex patterns and on painted walls ceilings the brush gives a bit of a key.

Love the wickes bonding agent...red in colour ..but strangely not used it for years

i used that for years in the 20kg tubs made by knauf, Betakontakt. It was good stuff but the sand sank to the bottom and needed stirring, microgobetis or PRB accrofix from plasteronestop is the best I’ve used and a good price too.

Screenshot_20200319-180454.png
Screenshot_20200319-180454.png

I devil float sand and cement because of the water proofer but do not devil float binding....
Sand and cement , the lager grains scratch enough , the float just closes it in if used too early

Well that grit worked. That's solid. Artex is sound. What that proves is plaster don't stick too well to grit. Guess the polymer is too gloss like. I'm going with beeline or waterproof pva to kill suction then plastering pva over and skim when sticky. If some is dry when I skim tuff.

@jamesthefirst I'm going to Cheltenham to look at Job. Onestop shop is not far away near job

Well that grit worked. That's solid. Artex is sound. What that proves is plaster don't stick too well to grit. Guess the polymer is too gloss like. I'm going with beeline or waterproof pva to kill suction then plastering pva over and skim when sticky. If some is dry when I skim tuff.

@jamesthefirst I'm going to Cheltenham to look at Job. Onestop shop is not far away near job
I agree, ive had 2 fail now.... People have said i should have Bonded it out before skimming but the instructions say to apply, allow to dry 24 hours and skim out as normal..... Skimmed some painted walls today and pva'd them will almost neat pva.... Was sticky as buggery... Prefer this to grit at the mo.....