Pricing an architects house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankySouthport

Private Member
Pricing a house for an architect through BNI, he's had a spark in which wouldn't do the electrics as he wanted ie horizontally fed wire all round the room!!

Got another spark to do it which is just stupid, hope one day he puts a picture up and goes straight through a wire the knob!!

should know better!

wants me to PB over the walls and skim, but there is only an inch to play with and wires sit proud of the wall!! Couldn't even get 3/8s over it without losing the cove lip, told him I will price for float and set.

surely an architect should know this!!! :RpS_confused:

Last edited:
Pricing an architects house

Pricing a house for an architect through BNI, he's had a spark in which wouldn't do the electrics as he wanted ie horizontally fed wire all round the room!!

Got another spark to do it which is just stupid, hope one day he puts a picture up and goes straight through a wire the knob!!

should know better!

wants me to PB over the walls and skim, but there is only an inch to play with and wires sit proud of the wall!! Couldn't even get 3/8s over it without losing the cove lip, told him I will price for float and set.

surely an architect should know this!!!

Some of these Architects live in a different world...... they have all the great ideas and concepts, but are not very practical at all.... (at least most have the sence to call in an expert and get advise)

...as long as he pays to do it how he thinks it should be..... then again to put it right again.... crack on! LOL

and someone laughed at me saying the services ran horizontal on the cracking thread earlier! LOL

Last edited:
They are the least sensible people in the building, all clean lines on paper and no idea how to get a to b ,worked for many of them, they will change their minds a lot and will not want to pay for it, you need a written instruction from them for every alteration, I once done an extension where he designed it around his sofa, ended up with a two metre window which was 400mm wide ,was meant to be a door ha ha.. My brother once rang the architect to query a concrete stairs they were pouring the next day to ensure all boxes were ticked, he was told ,pour it and I will come and see if its suitable, my brother said no chance...

Last edited:
He could be a commercial architect ? that said just cos he's an architect it dose not nessissarilly mean he knows how to build :-0 I have met quite a few of them who can draw things but aint reaaly got a clue how things are done!

The wife was telling me a story about the spark, he did a job for then move a couple of lights etc, took 3 hours charged them £170 I said so a days money then and shrugged, they wasnt best happy about it but tbh that's not amazingly excessive.. I maybe would have charged half a day but couldn't charge any less I mean what else can you do in half a day??!

the word architect, translated from it original italian, arch means an arch that is over. tect means technician .so over technician .therefor over tradesman.
there is also a person that is an educated idiot, that is a person that has received a good education but is still an idiot.

the word architect, translated from it original italian, arch means an arch that is over. tect means technician .so over technician .therefor over tradesman.
there is also a person that is an educated idiot, that is a person that has received a good education but is still an idiot.
A good architect is wonderful, they have great ideas, but you need the surveyors and engineers and the trades to make them work or dismiss them.

Last job I worked on that had an architect on it, he wouldn't engage me at all because I was working directly for the customer. Cheeky git rang me up and asked me how much per day I was on etc. I asked him what business of his was it, he replied that he would then write to the customer to 'confirm things' :RpS_confused: Talking to the other lads on site and it turns out he used to write to the customer as often as possible about anything he could justify.........at £70 a letter, robbing bastrd :-0

the thing is with architects the same as any other trade /profession is you get good and bad the good ones actually like what they do and so want to know how everything works and even get involved with building things so they can do thier job better. I know engineerers who while at uni only ever went to a workshop if forced to and would get the tech's to make evrything so they had no real idea of how stuff is made or works and generally these are the ones who are sheite.
It's a case of the old i'm clever so i know better than you !!!!!!!

Last job I worked on that had an architect on it, he wouldn't engage me at all because I was working directly for the customer. Cheeky git rang me up and asked me how much per day I was on etc. I asked him what business of his was it, he replied that he would then write to the customer to 'confirm things' :RpS_confused: Talking to the other lads on site and it turns out he used to write to the customer as often as possible about anything he could justify.........at £70 a letter, robbing bastrd :-0
still cheaper than a plumber or sparks tho :RpS_laugh:

I worked for an architect in his own home last month. He was great, super involved in all materials used and the exact outcome he wanted but pleasant with it. I was apprehensive at first bu the was a laugh actually.

Yours however sounds like an arse..

...I win :RpS_biggrin:

I worked for an architect in his own home last month. He was great, super involved in all materials used and the exact outcome he wanted but pleasant with it. I was apprehensive at first bu the was a laugh actually.

Yours however sounds like an arse..

...I win :RpS_biggrin:

I'm hoping it will just be the wifey on the job while I'm there, she can have a play with my twitcher any day :RpS_laugh:

Last edited:
We had to use parinter over paint as a base coat put a combs throught it ready for mono and the architect didn't say anything about the finish just she wasn't happy with the colour, we hadn't topped it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.