Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucius

Just found one of my old price guides from Sept 1983, this will open your eyes.

Render (1:1:6)and set in Siraphite
Walls £2.22 m2
Walls to staircase areas £3.36 m2

Walls in Bonding and Carlite finish £2.37

Scrim joints and skim coat to plasterboard
Walls £1.48
Ceilings £1.62

Angle bead 25p linear
Stop bead 30p

2 coat PVA £0.89 M2

Muliplyx2 for work not exceeding 300mm wide

In real terms i would say them prices would buy you a lot more in 83 than the prices nowadays would buy you.

Ithink you can safely say that on average you need to put a metre of skim on the wall to buy yourself a pint of beer according to my research depending on what beer and whereabouts in the country you were beer cost between 50p and 80p a pint in 1983, work it out youselves.

I'm currently skimming on site for 2.30 a square. Wow what a leap forward we have taken, not even £1 increase in near 30 years. My house would be mortgaged for around 40k back then now it's over 200, the balance is so far out. Half the country is on its knees because the other half is rolling in money.

Heres an idea, I'm sure plenty will tell me it's shite but why don't all us spreads stand together for a week and bring the sites the shite instead of them bringing it to us. Seriously, with respectable timing to allow to put some money to one side to cover the weeks wages, we could directly affect the directors bonuses and deadlines. How else can we give them the message that enough is enough. Time for a Facebook campaign!

interesting
andy you been spending plenty of your m2s over the weekend?

in 87 to 92 we were charging £1.60 sq meter for brush finish artex on sites and the same for coving ,sounds like a kin good deal nowadays,

Job I'm looking at Ive got to do 500m per week that will leave me 650 ish after paying digs and tax if we can get the rate up.......good times

I'm currently skimming on site for 2.30 a square. Wow what a leap forward we have taken, not even £1 increase in near 30 years. My house would be mortgaged for around 40k back then now it's over 200, the balance is so far out. Half the country is on its knees because the other half is rolling in money.

Heres an idea, I'm sure plenty will tell me it's shite but why don't all us spreads stand together for a week and bring the sites the shite instead of them bringing it to us. Seriously, with respectable timing to allow to put some money to one side to cover the weeks wages, we could directly affect the directors bonuses and deadlines. How else can we give them the message that enough is enough. Time for a Facebook campaign!
This simply could not work as plastering is now to fractured as a trade . What is a plasterer ? .is it someone who can just skim ,dry line and skim , wet plaster internal and external and screed ,what about quals not many spreads have got any ,there are to many variants to pin it down and to many semi skilled and way to many chancers and thistle pigs to make a stand .This trade has no respect any more and if you speak up about money and conditions more often than not you will be told to **** off as there is always someone who will do the work for the s**t prices.

Them prices are what the main contractor would pay the subby to be honest i wouldnt have a clue about plastering prices in 83 but i cross referanced the brickwork prices from the same book and they were spot on to what i was getting then and now on site you would be getting three times more than them prices thats how much plastering prices have fallen behind.

The old prices are very low and you are able to purchase every thing but now in this
modern age the prices of every thing is get high and have not in under if any body

I understand your point beader. Yes the trade has still got chancers and throat slashers in but are they a majority? I'd say no from my experience. Majority can swing a vote. Whether the lads are just skimmers or renderers or whatever, the unanimous thing is their all fed up with the prices. Theres the common ground.
All I'm saying is if it were to happen the top bods would know about and I don't think they would like it if it were happen again and again. Then maybe we wouldn't get told to fcuk off and wen I get my cheque I wouldn't be climbing into my van with my pants around my ankles.

Or we could to the British thing of sitting it out and wait till things get better...........still waiting derrrrrrrrrr

Lack of work and too many idiots doing it after a boom that's all
thats it when work comes back again we will be ready invoise book in hand hundred for this thousand for that sorry thats going to be very very very dear o and i cant do it for a 4 weeks o and i need a depoist and a go at ur wife

I started as a subcontract plasterer on the sites in 1979, I can remember the rates then, and these prices were 25% more than on the books prices

new builds
loading up money £15 per plot, all hand bash off the wagon and into the plots, in those days no hiab or forks

Float/set ---------------- £1.40 m
Board tacking------------- £ 0.60 m
Skim---------------------- £0.70 m
Cove---------------------- £0.60 m

all boardwork joints was Hessian Scrim and the angle beed price was all in,

Now I had an average wage with those prices, or I had the choice of Germany with 3 times the average wage

a question for the older guys on here, if those rates from the 80s were in todays money, what sort of rate do you think they would be?

and also bubbles £100 a day in 89. what do you reckon that would be in todays money??

just wondering how rich spreads used to be.... :)

According to the BBC over just the last year the typical pay of bosses at the majority of the UK's largest publicly listed companies rose 11% last year to £3.65m.

BBC News - FTSE 100 bosses' pay 'rose 11% last year'

Whilst in the States over the last 30 years bosses pay has grown 127 times faster than workers' pay!

American CEOs enjoy 15% pay rise in second year of double-digit hikes | Business | guardian.co.uk

If we got the same pay rise then we'd be getting over £250/m2
twatcher why dont you fnckoff to the states then?? you dont like good old Blighty anyway,,, ya bell:RpS_biggrin:

£100 in 89..... that would prob be about £300 :RpS_thumbup: am onni guessing because i was just 14 year old at the time and busy trying to get mi leg over with anything that moved!!!

542524_10151180809993502_539477401_n.jpg

When I meet my missus twenty eight years ago she was a newly qualified teacher and I had been in the trade for a couple of years or so, at that time I earned about double the amount she did. This situation continued for the next twenty odd years but then it started to change and now she's on about £39k and there's no way as a normal spread (not including money earned from employing others) I could come even close to earning double her wage. I've also got friends that work in factories on £29k basic £40k plus with over time. This all just goes to show that the building trades as a whole are just not held in high esteem any more. I believe I know some of the reasons for this but won't bother starting an argument by expressing here.

When I meet my missus twenty eight years ago she was a newly qualified teacher and I had been in the trade for a couple of years or so, at that time I earned about double the amount she did. This situation continued for the next twenty odd years but then it started to change and now she's on about £39k and there's no way as a normal spread (not including money earned from employing others) I could come even close to earning double her wage. I've also got friends that work in factories on £29k basic £40k plus with over time. This all just goes to show that the building trades as a whole are just not held in high esteem any more. I believe I know some of the reasons for this but won't bother starting an argument by expressing here.

My best year was 2 years ago before that I was finding my feet as a subby I earnt most of it in 4 months on a very good job and didn't do too bad before, I was working but not all price that was 37000 and still struggled no holiday etc and borrowing money at Christmas
For the work we did and what we had in return was a joke I don't over spend got cheap hobbies etc it's a mugs game

Status
Not open for further replies.