Price

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
Went to price a job this morning. Guy said he was a plasterer but couldnt be arsed doin the job. It was in his Mother in laws. It was a repair to a ceiling were it had collapsed. I reckon its a case of take down and cut back to joist, replace with one board (6 x 3) skim and take sh*te. I said £70. Got it. I can price up big jobs but with just goin on my own im at a loss to small jobs so just want to get a feel of whats worth it and whats a waste of time.What do you think?

100 quid min labour only dont care haow small a job it is.

It ll take half a day so 100 quid.

I think I panicked coz he said he was a spread. I wanted £100 but said £70 thats why I posted. Ah well , live n learn. :'(

You cant get your tools out the van for less than £100 i thinks,unless when u go to quote u do it whilst there (there and then ) to save u coming back,even then still cheap.
Next time over the phone with small jobs explain ill have gear with me and if we agrre ill doit there and then,explain it will be cheaper than going and coming back,also explain £100 is minimum charge.
Most the time for £100 ish they just want it done and clear and youll always get the job,try to do it on ur way home one day.

richardbrown said:
why didnt the lazy (french person) do it himself
I can understand why he didnt do it himself as its a nightmare doing work for family as they expect you to do it for free, and i would agree that is too cheap but i have done the same in the past gone and looked at a small job and seen it was worth f**k all and said £50 now if i cant see it paying i just tell em i will phone em later by then i usually talked my self out of the job and go in high, some times it pays off but then i get a guilty concience thinking ive ripped them off.

depends on ceiling size cos you could do a small ceiling in a couple of hours and spend most time sitting in van drinking tea. so £70 is ok :eek:

dcs said:
depends on ceiling size cos you could do a small ceiling in a couple of hours and spend most time sitting in van drinking tea. so £70 is ok :eek:
Its less than about 6x3. Im trying to get a good rep as im new. I think Im gonna have to start with a minimum charge. The last thing I want is to underprice myself or my trade.

Thing is mate and its been mentioned in the past,what u do for the rest of the day?????
its takes 2.5 hrs to go through the plastering drying polishing process so wether its a 1m square hole in ceiling or 35m2 set it still takes 2.5 hrs before cleaning up driving there picking materials up etc.
you could plaster a 2.5x2.5 M room in 2.5 hrs but u wouldnt charge peanuts for that that would you????

skimmin2day said:
Thing is mate and its been mentioned in the past,what u do for the rest of the day?????
its takes 2.5 hrs to go through the plastering drying polishing process so wether its a 1m square hole in ceiling or 35m2 set it still takes 2.5 hrs before cleaning up driving there picking materials up etc.
you could plaster a 2.5x2.5 M room in 2.5 hrs but u wouldnt charge peanuts for that that would you????
Yes you are right there but you are dealing with joe public and in there eyes they see a small patch in a ceiling as opposed to two big walls.

Ring a gas fitter or sparkys with a problem and see what there minimum charge is?? £100 to change a light bulb or light a pilot light ill tell ya to save you the hassle of googling it.
If you run a bussiness ur in it to make money NoT friends !!
I charged a guy 3month ago £40 to change a toilet seat, even my dad said u robbing b a s t ar d, but i had to drive there and spend a whole 3 mins with stinkming pis s e d toilet fitting it,i could have charged him a hundred cus he couldnt do it.
Bussiness is Bussiness

as skimsaid have got to charge proper money as you need to build some cash up for van repairs etc .if you can drum it into your self its a days pay or you don't do it and if you a a bit in reserve you can work like that

thing is joe public dont see plasterers in the same light as plumbers or sparkys, they expect jobs done cheap and see small jobs as small money not how long it will take.
i agree with the others on the price should of been 100 min but hey 70 betta than 50 a week off the rock an roll,

Another thing,if you do somethng cheap,customers will tell others "i know this spread,he's well cheap".
Id rather them say "i know this spread,quality work" ,but not that cheap !!.
im not saying i havent worked for peanuts in the past,and i know its hard out there and some really do need the cash,but there has to be a cut off point.Make it £100 i reckons

Ive had this problem in the past , I went in too cheap 1st time around and then the punter is ringing you back 2 months down the line to do more work and they expect you to do a cheap job again.

So ive learned the hard way on pricing small jobs , so these days its £100 minimum for even the smallest patch :eek: cant say i get every small job that I price though.

dcs said:

Maybe so, but if the punter see's you sitting in the van drinking tea for over an hour :eek: what will he think then about your price :-[

The ones that do my head in is the carrot danglers do this bit now and you can plaster my whole house yeah right i have heard it all before never fall for it now just tell em i can pick that bit up when i start the whole house ;)

Went to the job this mornin and the guy never showed. Waited then got off as I didnt want to do it any way for the original price. He rang me half an hr later sayin he was sorry hed just missed me.(what by 30 mins!) and could I go back another time. That would have been 3 trips to the house.
Found out there council as well so reckon he was goin to either bung on a few £ and submit to the council or just plain rip me off. Either way alarm bells were ringin and I really really didnt want to do it for the original price so said no Im too busy, get some one else(like yourself you lazy t**t).
Just made up not to have done it for that cheap. Live n learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.