Popped rivet

Status
Not open for further replies.

beddy

Gibbo sent me a lovely worn in carbon trowel the other day, really nice to use.

However the top rivets gone and has a tendency to chatter if youre not careful.

I tried gorilla glue as the merchants had an open tub but didn't work at all. My next idea is either A 2 part glue or re-rivet it. I've never riveted anything before.

Would I have to rivet it from underneath leaving the head on the face of the trowel and the tag end on the spine? Or could i do it the other way round and grind it down flat?

Anyone know how the manufacturers do it?

over here it would be easy mate, we have '' little mesters '' workshops, they would do it, maybe Google these, see if they would be interested ?

I think if you go the other way and grind it down shoul probably do the job!! I dont think a glue would do it as it will just keep breaking off when you put pressure on :RpS_thumbsup:

i thought this was a thread about a belt you broke or a trouser button:RpS_mad:

I would find a local fab shop,wouldn't take them 10 minutes,as you say it's a lovely trowel so will be worth the few quid to get it fixed.

Did you wet the edges you were trying to bond with the gorilla spunk beddy? Then leave it held in place overnight?

Little mesters is a cafe in Sheffield lol

might be a cafe that name, but the little mesters are the old school boys who made the famous sheffield cutlery/tools etc.. theres a big working museum up the lane from us...

Ahh well. Bit hit and miss that stuff. Maybe a fabricator can spot weld it then grind the weld nice n smooth???

Find a cliff,Wet one finger ! Hold it aloft to check wind direction! With other hand launch it into blue yonders.
Job done :) buy n wear in another.
hmmmmm the throw away world.

I thought the heat from welding might knacker it? I think I might try riveting from below. Dont think the head will interfere.

take it to get done properly mate its not worth risking fu cking the trowel up is it

I thought the heat from welding might knacker it? I think I might try riveting from below. Dont think the head will interfere.

heat will take the tension out of the metal, the trowel will be floppy.
now that the trowel has dropped a rivet it most prob would have gone out of shape. buy a new one!

Ive got plenty of trowels. All worn in. It's shape is still ok, just thought id see if I could save it.

Spot welding is precise and on a single spot. Not blasted with a hot torch. May be worth asking Ryan from P1SS about the riveting. He'll know a bit about the construction of trowels with his NELA knowledge.

I'll ask @madmonk to stick a piccy up of the one i rivetted for him. I've repaired a few of these now. I've also cut the ribs down on the back of the trowel and filled the hole that it leaves behind. I'd put a piccy of mine up that i have here but i don't know how to put piccys on lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll ask @madmonk to stick a piccy up of the one i rivetted for him. I've repaired a few of these now. I've also cut the ribs down on the back of the trowel and filled the hole that it leaves behind. I'd put a piccy of mine up that i have here but i don't know how to put piccys on lol.
yeah topjob done with a brass rivet

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see i've just tried sticking a couple of pics up with the app but it's not worked for some reason. . . . .?? Whats that all about. . . ..

Status
Not open for further replies.