Popcorn ceiling?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiwwy

Hi, a friend of mine has a texture ceiling he wants smoothing over. I've been to have a look at it and think it's what they call a popcorn ceiling, the house was built in 1978 and I have read that it could have asbestos in it. Any suggestions? Is boarding it over the right thing to do do you think?

Cheers, Jim

Suppose that's the best thing to do, but it's only a small ceiling, it'd only cost 80 to skim it if I didn't suspect asbestos, so 29 on 80 seems alot of money... but your probably right.

Haha, salted I imagine...

Is overboarding a "by the book" way to do it?

It's one of my first jobs out of college, for a mate, and it's his kids room... What a ball ache, I'm panicking a bit... What a pleb...

The other thing is if I overboard it, there some architrave up to the ceiling for the boiler cupboard, so even that's not straight forward...

If you think they'll be reluctant to have an asbestos test done in their kids' bedroom, maybe they should have the kids adopted. Never heard of a popcorn ceiling though :RpS_thumbup:

Just smash holes in the ceiling to find the joists then mate don't worry about the kid.
At least youll save £29 :RpS_thumbup:
You might get sued, but don't worry about that either :RpS_wink:

Plaster it if you don't want to disturb it, what's a popcorn ceiling anyway is it artex?

Thanks for the advise artisan.

The rest of you really are just a bunch of pricks aren't you? Get a life.

Sorry bod and spunky, not aimed at you.

It's a spray finsish I think, and it's a it too proud to skim over.

Thanks for the advise artisan.

The rest of you really are just a bunch of pricks aren't you? Get a life.

Actually, come to think of it, smash loads of holes and find those joists. Don't forget to breathe nice and deep.

Yeah, scrapeback, bond and skim. Can't scrape back if it contains artex, and as i say the popcorn finsh is a spray on, latexy type thing, i think, woudn't hold the plaster?

dave50, you think it would hold the bond and skim. also like i say the architrave goes upto the ceiling

Just smash holes in the ceiling to find the joists then mate don't worry about the kid.
At least youll save £29 :RpS_thumbup:
You might get sued, but don't worry about that either :RpS_wink:

Yeah, that's really helpful...

Well thanks for the helpful advice, the rest of you, good luck going through life acting complete pricks... Seeya!

could u not get away with overboreding with some 9'5s failing that id tight coat of bonding then skim how big the ceiling mate

This texture your on about would you say a coat of 10mm bonding will cover it for a skim? if the ceiling looks secure should be ok.
50/50 PVA let it dry then PVA it again and you can let that dry before you bond it as the texture will be key as well, wear a masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.