Please help... Monocouche...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Course you can, that's exactly what everyone is doing. Just that for a lot of home owners that could mean a cherry picker or such every couple of years.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Well cherry picker and soapy water and a brush down is a grand cheaper then cherry picker and a grands worth of sandtex and roller

Or Iv seen window cleaners standing on the floor cleaning the up stairs Windows... Why can't they do the render aswell... Business opportunity there

Or Iv seen window cleaners standing on the floor cleaning the up stairs Windows... Why can't they do the render aswell... Business opportunity there
Those are the worst though...they don't clean the sill and the dirt poors down and stains ...looks s**t after one year whatever you render with, if you have guy who gets up the ladder he cleans sills as well.

Alright then let's give the ladder climbing window cleaner a bit more meterage.............while ur up there how much for that gable? I'll do the low stuff when I wash my car

I can't understand how renderers can carry out a job like that without having the common sense to replace the copings first...we do it on every job...put 14 or 16s on and never had problems like this. I guess most just don't give a sh*t by the time it's dirt chq will have long cleared.

I don't replace copings, mainly because i'm a plasterer/renderer not a jack of all trades, if the drip isn't substantial enough I inform the customer that they will need replacing and what the consequence will be if they don't, if they tell me to proceed without replacing them then its not my problem.

also rendering garden walls or any wall where a dpc is not present means the render will be constantly affected by damp traveling up the wall, thus getting behind the render and making susceptible to blowing, and i'm pretty sure all guarantees that weber and k-rend give are invalid if rendered below dpc level or on walls with no dpc, I inform the customer of this aswell if they request rendering below dpc or on non dpc walls.

also I believe that painting the render with standard masonry paint takes away the breathability and thus invalidates the guarantees and potentially causing damp issues to the property, there are special paints for monnocouche on the market so I inform the customer to consider using these if they need to paint it.

Ultimately a customer can have whatever they want done to their property, as long as they are in possession of all the facts. I don't think the issue is that these guys didn't replace the copings, its that they didn't inform the customer of the possible issues they might encounter and how to prevent them.

Alright then let's give the ladder climbing window cleaner a bit more meterage.............while ur up there how much for that gable? I'll do the low stuff when I wash my car
Are you taking the piss or are you trying to get something across, the whole point of the post is the OP was sold a product he believed was low/no maintainance now discovers it is anything but, the system is being avoided by architects both private and public mainly for these reasons, poster above makes a good point re. dpc. had not thought of this, though the breath ability of product is most likely the reason it looks like s**t within a few winters.

As said, we live in the wrong climate, out of prefrence i would avoid buying a rendered finnish unless i am prepaid for some maintence

I don't replace copings, mainly because i'm a plasterer/renderer not a jack of all trades, if the drip isn't substantial enough I inform the customer that they will need replacing and what the consequence will be if they don't, if they tell me to proceed without replacing them then its not my problem.

also rendering garden walls or any wall where a dpc is not present means the render will be constantly affected by damp traveling up the wall, thus getting behind the render and making susceptible to blowing, and i'm pretty sure all guarantees that weber and k-rend give are invalid if rendered below dpc level or on walls with no dpc, I inform the customer of this aswell if they request rendering below dpc or on non dpc walls.

also I believe that painting the render with standard masonry paint takes away the breathability and thus invalidates the guarantees and potentially causing damp issues to the property, there are special paints for monnocouche on the market so I inform the customer to consider using these if they need to paint it.

Ultimately a customer can have whatever they want done to their property, as long as they are in possession of all the facts. I don't think the issue is that these guys didn't replace the copings, its that they didn't inform the customer of the possible issues they might encounter and how to prevent them.
Think you might of hit the nail on the head there...why didn't I think of that...i am not to clever when it comes to the technicality of most things but the dpc yes that's it I agree

Think Jdplast has indeed nailed it, breathable renders might have their uses but for the majority of double leaf or block external timber frame breathable is unnecessary and ages very poorly in this climate, must say have not seen any sealer which works long-term and surely a breathable paint would have you back to square one in no time. Am sure the boffins could come up with a waterproofing additive if minded to though.

Copings are probably one of the easiest things to do in the trades...if you have that attitude what are you going to do when you come across a rotten wooden lintel, or a deteriorated window cill or facias, guttering and waste stacks that need replacing...or the odd roof tile broken by the scaffolders? Just inform the customer and crack on? F**k that just get it done bud leave the best job you can.

Copings are probably one of the easiest things to do in the trades...if you have that attitude what are you going to do when you come across a rotten wooden lintel, or a deteriorated window cill or facias, guttering and waste stacks that need replacing...or the odd roof tile broken by the scaffolders? Just inform the customer and crack on? F**k that just get it done bud leave the best job you can.

In a word, yes, that's exactly what I do. I inform the customer and get them to get a professional to replace the lintel or fix/replace soffits Etc I will help put them in touch with someone If they can't find their own trades but I'm not going to bodge it myself. In my opinion that is leaving the best job I can, in my experience it's usually when people don't stick to their trade and try to do everything that a job turns to s**t. I often wonder why people just don't say no I can't do that than have a go and f**k it up...money probably. ....

He's changing the copings/cappings on a wall, what are ya going to do ring a coping fitter. If you can plaster the outside of a house you'd have no bother,how could you f... It up? especially as all your cuts would have been done already.

He's changing the copings/cappings on a wall, what are ya going to do ring a coping fitter. If you can plaster the outside of a house you'd have no bother,how could you f... It up? especially as all your cuts would have been done already.

Well, I reckon its a brick layer you'd need, but listen, i'm not having a go at those who would do all the other associated jobs but I don't or didn't do them as I don't really do domestic renders anymore. if you are capable and willing then great crack on.

Status
Not open for further replies.