Please give your advice!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

smw

Is this the age old plastering question? sorry if youve all seen it a million times before. Im moving from private to commercial (slowly) and need to know what meterage rates to charge when the inevitable question comes up. Ive always charged a day rate for everything but that wont do in the world of commercial. Ive just done a job in Derby for a shop fitting outfit and when i asked for £140 a day he almost ripped my hand off. Can anyone give me some guide prices for dabbing and skimming and just skimming? what about beading?

Thanks people

smw

ive been searching for aggggges. i know its a bit of a taboo subject but who better to ask than a bunch of sarcastic, info muddling trowel jockies? sorry for the gaff!

(still need to know, though)

ive been searching for aggggges. i know its a bit of a taboo subject but who better to ask than a bunch of sarcastic, info muddling trowel jockies? sorry for the gaff!

(still need to know, though)

lol

I will have a dig about and see what I can find :D

@spunky is a site spread he may be able to help...
@Curry is also a site chap... maybe will to give a guide...

there are plenty of other as well but these are the first that come to mind...

Maybe leaving your email for them to message you will make it easier :D

Good luck

Danny

Last edited:
Dont know if it helps but. Work out how much you want a day then work out how many meters you can comfortably do a day divide meters by £ to equal what you want. Rough egsample.. you want £320 a day you can lay 80msq a day at x £4 a msq = £320 a day labour only, add labourer and materials if needed on top of rate.

It all depends how far up the chain you join.

If your just labour and nothing else then u will be at the bottom but your life is easier. No paper work no planning you just turn up and plaster what your told and hope the meterage is there.

If your direct your going to have to do the work either by yourself or with others, sort paper work, programs and undertake meetings. You will need to bill off and they will want detailed measure and logs for day work.

Never trust anyones word. Get EVERYTHING in writing before you do anything. The days of a gentlemans hand shake are over. Be careful you can get in deep very easily and some people are experts in withholding money and pressuring to carry on. Set out payment terms and if these are broken or ignored STOP working.

As for prices get as much as you think you can. You need to judge their demand for your services but remember to factor in snagging. You will get some coz they are anal like that and someone is being paid to find faults.

Last edited:
140 is to low when you take out costs. Fuel, vechical, training, insurances etc. Are you going to do the whole job yourself? If not you will need a percentage on the guys you get in otherwise there is no point. You will end up finding them work and running the job and paying them ( when you might not get paid your self). You are taking the risk so make sure your return is worth you investment.

All good stuff. £140/day was just for my labour. job was only a very short distance away so fuel was not an issue and it was half way between my house and the missus so i could choose to go and see her if id had a good day and had the energy or retire to my recliner and bean tin in my own hovel if not. Ive never actually measured what i can do in a day. With everything being a day rate or just a price based on day rate + mats ive never had the need to, although i have often thought about it. Im doing a chapel conversion at the minute with some huge walls so ill get my ruler out and have a measure. im not sure how accurate my ruler is though. last time i measured something with it it said it was 12" but my missus reckoned it wasnt even half that.

@spunky is a site spread he may be able to help...
@Curry is also a site chap... maybe will to give a guide...

there are plenty of other as well but these are the first that come to mind...

Maybe leaving your email for them to message you will make it easier :D

Good luck

Danny

Ive only been on this site for half a day and i was asleep for 7 hours of that and ive already heard of this @spunky. i dont know how he manages to get anything on his walls cos hes always yarning on here! hes either got a couple of lackies or hes havin us all on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive only been on this site for half a day and i was asleep for 7 hours of that and ive already heard of this @spunky. i dont know how he manages to get anything on his walls cos hes always yarning on here! hes either got a couple of lackies or hes havin us all on!
:-0:RpS_lol:

you can always do a quick tot up of the areas.
8 x 4 plasterboard = 2.88 m square .
9 blocks = 1 m square.
50 bricks = 1 m square

It all depends how far up the chain you join.

If your just labour and nothing else then u will be at the bottom but your life is easier. No paper work no planning you just turn up and plaster what your told and hope the meterage is there.

If your direct your going to have to do the work either by yourself or with others, sort paper work, programs and undertake meetings. You will need to bill off and they will want detailed measure and logs for day work.

Never trust anyones word. Get EVERYTHING in writing before you do anything. The days of a gentlemans hand shake are over. Be careful you can get in deep very easily and some people are experts in withholding money and pressuring to carry on. Set out payment terms and if these are broken or ignored STOP working.

As for prices get as much as you think you can. You need to judge their demand for your services but remember to factor in snagging. You will get some coz they are anal like that and someone is being paid to find faults.
Still not been payed mate :RpS_cursing:

Status
Not open for further replies.