Plastering work in exchange for 2 weeks holiday for 14 people in France!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimJamieson

Hi Guys, take it easy with me Im using my husbands name on this forum and not up with the lingo. I am desperate to get my lounge plastered, its boarded out but not taped, ceiling and walls, its a double height room so a bit of a pain and like most ex-pats out here have run out of funds in getting the business side of the property ready. Therefore I am hoping to tempt someone to come out and do the job in exchange for use of our large self catering farmhouse for a two week holiday, 5 bedrooms all en-suite. We are in the Limousin in France, easy access from the UK via Ryanair. Ive lived with the grey plasterboard for 4 years now and Im getting a bit fed up with it, please save us from me giving it a go with the jointing stuff!
Hope to hear from someone positive soon.
Catherine:RpS_blushing:
Please feel free to email me directly on info@gruedemoiselle.com and have a look at the holiday option on Grue Demoiselle - Bed & Breakfast- large gite - self catering and then look at the self catering option. We are also open to negotiation if I have undervalued the job.

Just got back from France the other day :RpS_biggrin: was there for 6 weeks :RpS_thumbup: Unfortunately I can't help you out at the moment, but I'm sure someone on here will. Are you supplying the materials? - local French plaster (lutece etc..) If you get someone to come over there make sure they know how to use the local plasters! I prefer to take my own plaster over there. I have used lutece and it's ok, but it doesn't take knocks very well when it's set, quite soft in my opinion. Board finish & multi finish are a bit more hard wearing. Something for you to think about anyway. Plus it depends what finish you want aswell really.

Thanks guys, didnt realise I was using the moody, nasty ego head, I thought it was the shy embarassed silly me head!:RpS_wub:
Photos on the way, we have also heard the french plaster is not easy to use, open to negotiate depending on if craftsman is flying or driving, we can now get thistle plaster over here, if that makes sense?

Thanks guys, didnt realise I was using the moody, nasty ego head, I thought it was the shy embarassed silly me head!:RpS_wub:
Photos on the way, we have also heard the french plaster is not easy to use, open to negotiate depending on if craftsman is flying or driving, we can now get thistle plaster over here, if that makes sense?

The nasty ego head paragraph is Flynnymans signature it's not aimed at you (i don't think) lol

July 2011 073.jpg July 2011 074.jpg July 2011 075.jpg July 2011 076.jpg July 2011 077.jpg We are looking for a smooth finish but not necessarily flat, perhaps rustic as this is an old farmhouse so the walls and ceiling are not symetrical, we have made a bulkhead area over the windows and some of this plasterboarding here will be done again as its got to be re-insulated. Hope this helas and gives an idea of the job. Thanks for your interest. Catherine:RpS_biggrin:

Thanks guys, didnt realise I was using the moody, nasty ego head, I thought it was the shy embarassed silly me head!:RpS_wub:photos on the way, we have also heard the french plaster is not easy to use, open to negotiate depending on if craftsman is flying or driving, we can now get thistle plaster over here, if that makes sense?
The French plaster is easy to use if you know what you are doing :RpS_wink: Where are they stocking thistle in France then? Bet it's double the price aswell. I heard there's a Brit builders merchants that stock it, ChrisW off this forum gave me some numbers. But if you know of other stockists could be quite handy....depending on price :RpS_thumbup: Here's a mixture of lutece & thistle in France & yes I meant the wall to look like that :RpS_biggrin:
photo-1083.jpg

I have no idea about the plaster but your picture is very nice:rolleyes), however I wouldnt want that finish as it gets very dusty here and that finish is very unforgiving, especially the way I light fires! However, info about Thistle Multi Finish is 25kg sack is 10.99euros, is this good? Stockist is called eco-entrepot, near Bellac, they are on facebook as well.

That's true it does get dusty, the other walls don't though :RpS_biggrin: €10.99 :-0 it's £4 a bag here!! I'll keep taking my own over there then :RpS_biggrin: Anyway I've a mate who lives & works in France, he's in Brittany though so it's a 7 & half hr drive to your place. But I can email you his details if you want? You never know :RpS_thumbup:

Ok how would one go about using the local plaster and how is it different from the plaster one uses in ones native country?

Ok how would one go about using the local plaster and how is it different from the plaster one uses in ones native country?
:RpS_laugh: Lutece is like onecoat mate so sponge float & trowel up etc..:RpS_wink: Not used any of the others just lutece 2000C which is short setting & lutece 2000L which is Long setting.

LOL as what warrior said its my signature just a private joke :)

So let me get this straight are you offering the accomodation just for the labour and you will supply flights/fuel and boat and materials for the job? Is the accomodation only available on certain dates?

cheers oh and look below thats my sig :)

Thats the bit ime not sure of,do you actualy want to pay for this work or are you offering future accomadation for work done if that is the case forget it we are all in the same boat and all need money for time spent at work, apoligise if ive got that wrong.

Hi Spunky,
Like you say we are all in the same boat, thats why as we are sitting here with a really nice very large holiday accommodation, I would see if someone would be happy to get all their friends, family a group holiday or two. It is open to negotiation and we would be looking to pay for the materials and talk about travel costs also negotiate when you would like to come on holiday. We recognise this is a big job and would not limit the plasterer to some rainy week in March.

Yes, so sorry to not have all these questions already answered, the best airport to us is Limoges and Ryanair or Flybe come into there, we would pick you up from the airport and accommodate and feed you for the duration of the work as well as keeping a good supply of English tea on the go.

Yes, so sorry to not have all these questions already answered, the best airport to us is Limoges and Ryanair or Flybe come into there, we would pick you up from the airport and accommodate and feed you for the duration of the work as well as keeping a good supply of English tea on the go.

the french need educating regarding tea ,theirs is terrible

Have you seen the height of my ceilings, Im not having some squiffy plasterer wobbling around up there....TEA it is until the end of the job LOL:RpS_biggrin:

Have you seen the height of my ceilings, Im not having some squiffy plasterer wobbling around up there....TEA it is until the end of the job LOL:RpS_biggrin:
End of the job?:-0 Surely you mean End of each day!! Then the free merlot comes out :RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.