Plastering wages fall by 2.5%

Donzo

If you read this out of trades plastering wages fell for self employed average. Just as another thread said recently why do we get our ass walloped.
These figures are not based on domestics obviously.

If you read this out of trades plastering wages fell for self employed average. Just as another thread said recently why do we get our ass walloped.
These figures are not based on domestics obviously.

Hardly surprising when you consider the rate at which the short courses churn out new 'plasterers'. They may not be capable, but they're still taking work away from someone.
Everything is supply and demand.

Hardly surprising when you consider the rate at which the short courses churn out new 'plasterers'. They may not be capable, but they're still taking work away from someone.
I've had a few so called plasterers call me asking for work I've said I've plenty or rendering going on!
They say I can't render?? I say if you can't float, use a rule get a wall square,screed a floor ya ain't a plasterer, goodbye (y)

Agree with that, considering there is a shortage of construction workers and its boom time according to some yet our wages are down. Are us and painters the only popular short courses. Or is our trade piss easy to do as we seem not to be valued, wtf is driving our wages down in this busy climate.

I've had a few so called plasterers call me asking for work I've said I've plenty or rendering going on!
They say I can't render?? I say if you can't float, use a rule get a wall square,screed a floor ya ain't a plasterer, goodbye (y)
Do you still get calls regarding floor screeding?

Agree with that, considering there is a shortage of construction workers and its boom time according to some yet our wages are down. Are us and painters the only popular short courses. Or is our trade piss easy to do as we seem not to be valued, wtf is driving our wages down in this busy climate.
I've done a short course in electrics and if anything it was easier than plastering, much more definitive as in this is right and this is wrong....plastering is quite subjective one persons standards differ from another, electrics its tested and it's right or not right and I have a set of results that say it's right. I think electrics you learn but plastering is a skill from time doing it

I've done a short course in electrics and if anything it was easier than plastering, much more definitive as in this is right and this is wrong....plastering is quite subjective one persons standards differ from another, electrics its tested and it's right or not right and I have a set of results that say it's right. I think electrics you learn but plastering is a skill from time doing it
I would have less confidence hitting domestic households on a electric course than plastering, death more likely if it was me.

I would have less confidence hitting domestic households on a electric course than plastering, death more likely if it was me.
Your taught the methods of safe isolation, no reason to get shocked if it's dead, some live testing at the board but only the probes of your tester ever touch it

Plastering is rat race to the bottom over the last few years.

We are partly to blame ourselves because at some point or another we have tried our rate to get a job or compete.

I did it a few years back and to be honest I nearly jacked in.

But now I don't drop the rates they are what they are. A lot of my work is reccomendations but even then you still get people that won't pay for a proper job.

To which end I've learnt to kindly say jog on!

Us spreads seem to have a bang it of making ourselves busy idiots rather than working smart.

I've lost plenty of work in my time from pricing it to my rates and to the correct time to do it properly. That doesn't bother me because I get numerous calls to then look and rectify a lot of it after. Which gives me a strange sense of satisfaction saying sorry I'm too busy or I told you so.

Until we can have an across the board standard of practice the chances will still chance.

Love it when the big daddy Charlie’s on this forum yap on about the meterage they’re banging out for £2.50m2 total monkey skimmers plunging rates down, saw a plastering job advertised for £11.50 an hour the other day aswell. Foreigners, labourers/skimmers, and desperate cowboys all can take their share of the blame.

I remember years ago customers saying I can't get a plasterer, now 10 a penny.
Also these Internet sites bidding for work, wtf a race to the bottom. Foreigners were mentioned, a lot of them went back home as they could earn more money and the euro rate being low. wages should not be dropping when materials are going north all the time.

I remember years ago customers saying I can't get a plasterer, now 10 a penny.
Also these Internet sites bidding for work, wtf a race to the bottom. Foreigners were mentioned, a lot of them went back home as they could earn more money and the euro rate being low. wages should not be dropping when materials are going north all the time.
I've had jobs up to 25k off those bidding sites, the lead was £20 don't write something off because it's alien to you, better to learn how to use it for your own gain....if anything I up my prices as I can just send a message saying £700 for a room and if they don't like it they don't shortlist, if they do shortlist I know they think the price is the right ballpark

I've had jobs up to 25k off those bidding sites, the lead was £20 don't write something off because it's alien to you, better to learn how to use it for your own gain....if anything I up my prices as I can just send a message saying £700 for a room and if they don't like it they don't shortlist, if they do shortlist I know they think the price is the right ballpark
Don't need to go near them.

If two guys with equally good reviews are bidding for the same job, surely the guy that drops his price down wins the job though? Dropping rates and pulling prices down? I’m not in the website so don’t fully understand so please explain, say me and you are bidding for the same job and we’ve both got equally decent reviews but you decide to drop your price and undercut me you win the job and I’ve wasted money on a lead?

If two guys with equally good reviews are bidding for the same job, surely the guy that drops his price down wins the job though? Dropping rates and pulling prices down? I’m not in the website so don’t fully understand so please explain, say me and you are bidding for the same job and we’ve both got equally decent reviews but you decide to drop your price and undercut me you win the job and I’ve wasted money on a lead?
That's just the same as quoting in general against Joe blogs out the paper, probably half my leads I'm shortlisted for due to the reviews I've got don't bother short listing anyone else, I've got 70 they've got 3 or 5 or 10 they go for me and wait to see what I say.....on the other side of course I do lose jobs and the lead fee goes in the bin but the balance of money lost for money gained works well

Also they're not as competitive as people think a lot of leads I'll be the only one who went for them or maybe one other....a bit busier at xmas and Jan but ok rest of the time

and the Youtube chancers.

in my opinion they're just as bad if not worse than the coursers.

The irony is I know of at least 2 well known members on here that have posted videos showing 'how to plaster' ( in reality just stroking their egos) and to f**k**g stupid to realize that they're part of the problem why there are so many chancing cowboys out there and the first ones to f**k**g moan why they haven't got any work or why money's crap in the trade.

Last edited:
That's just the same as quoting in general against Joe blogs out the paper, probably half my leads I'm shortlisted for due to the reviews I've got don't bother short listing anyone else, I've got 70 they've got 3 or 5 or 10 they go for me and wait to see what I say.....on the other side of course I do lose jobs and the lead fee goes in the bin but the balance of money lost for money gained works well
So the customer goes for the cheapest quote if we’ve got equally good reviews or if we’d both come highly recommended outside of the bidding site, and say a new kid in the block with a couple decent reviews can come in even cheaper than the price that was lower than mine and yours the customer goes for that price safe in the knowledge they can totally slaughter them online for any little misdemeanour. The whole thing just doesn’t seem right to me.

So the customer goes for the cheapest quote if we’ve got equally good reviews or if we’d both come highly recommended outside of the bidding site, and say a new kid in the block with a couple decent reviews can come in even cheaper than the price that was lower than mine and yours the customer goes for that price safe in the knowledge they can totally slaughter them online for any little misdemeanour. The whole thing just doesn’t seem right to me.
that's just the same as normal quoting minus the reviews, me an you go for a job but odd job Bob can say he's the best plasterer ever and done it 30 years and only charges £80 a day but he's only ever plastered two walls, customer don't know he's telling porkies

that's just the same as normal quoting minus the reviews, me an you go for a job but odd job Bob can say he's the best plasterer ever and done it 30 years and only charges £80 a day but he's only ever plastered two walls, customer don't know he's telling porkies
if you have a free Google business listing reviews can be left, if your on the Internet the customer can find out about you.not talking about shi#book.also a website we're reviews can be left. When you get 50+you can rule out fake good reviews.

and the Youtube chancers.

in my opinion they're just as bad if not worse than the coursers.

The irony is I know of at least 2 well known members on here that have posted videos showing 'how to plaster' ( in reality just stroking their egos) and to f**k**g stupid to realize that they're part of the problem why there are so many chancing cowboys out there and the first ones to f**k**g moan why they haven't got any work or why money's crap in the trade.
Wont do it again.

Ye know what I dont mind if one person wants to do just one aspect of a trade and make a living as long as it's done to a acceptable standard.

It has changed massively over the last few years, more people will use they websites particularly under 40's.
Nothing beats a face to face, but cost is more important to the younger generations.

Presume Carl is on about me , tbf I never shown how I plaster at all on any videos they always edited with that in mind

Love it when the big daddy Charlie’s on this forum yap on about the meterage they’re banging out for £2.50m2 total monkey skimmers plunging rates down, saw a plastering job advertised for £11.50 an hour the other day aswell. Foreigners, labourers/skimmers, and desperate cowboys all can take their share of the blame.

I pay more in tax than most people earn in this country .....
Just showed my brother your statement he said if you can't earn a grand in 3 days skimming @£2.50 or screeding rendering or boarding ...then give it up.

Reactions: Djr
I do definitely get the vibe on my builder that it’s a race to get the lowest quote in or for lazy customers to get loads of online quotes. Something just doesn’t seem right about it to me. But it’s obviously good for customer to get a competitive price job and look at references for guys who are bidding.

Just showed my brother your statement he said if you can't earn a grand in 3 days skimming @£2.50 or screeding rendering or boarding ...then give it up.
I know you like to be the alpha male around here but people shouldn’t be working for £2.50 a metre. It’s a total piss take. You’re taking the piss out of yourself in my eyes.

You ain't the average guy according to my thread at top. Wages

I do definitely get the vibe on my builder that it’s a race to get the lowest quote in or for lazy customers to get loads of online quotes. Something just doesn’t seem right about it to me. But it’s obviously good for customer to get a competitive price job and look at references for guys who are bidding.
I'm not arguing with anyone but I use it the opposite....you get a free message and if they like the message or it suits them they shortlist. I put for example hi your room skim would be in the region of £500-£600 depending on prep. I'm free from x date. If this fits with your timescale please shortlist me and I'll pop over for a full quote......if the price or dates dont suit they dont shortlist (free) if they shortlist I know were singing off the same hymn sheet

You think I enjoy working for £2.50 ??
Algee the average pay in that site is worst of them plastering down 2.5% to £783 a week. If you are making a grand in 3 days you are well above. If you day 5days wtf.
Your earning is not average.