Plastering up to mastic sealant on window reveal

Members online

Harrybrice

I have recently had double glazing installed, where the plastic window trim meets the internal window reveals there has been a mastic sealant applied to provide a clean finish. The internal reveals are not in good shape and I want to plaster them, I don't like the idea of plastering into a corner where there is mastic sealant, it will make it near impossible to get a clear edge and I don't think the plaster will stick to it very well.

Is it normal to plaster without the window trim being sealed, and then apply mastic over the top of it? Should I have asked the fitters to not seal there?

Or is it actually just normal to plaster up against the mastic? I have seen plenty of videos of how to plaster internal reveals but I can never see if there is already sealant there.

What would be the best way of tackling this?

I have recently had double glazing installed, where the plastic window trim meets the internal window reveals there has been a mastic sealant applied to provide a clean finish. The internal reveals are not in good shape and I want to plaster them, I don't like the idea of plastering into a corner where there is mastic sealant, it will make it near impossible to get a clear edge and I don't think the plaster will stick to it very well.

Is it normal to plaster without the window trim being sealed, and then apply mastic over the top of it? Should I have asked the fitters to not seal there?

Or is it actually just normal to plaster up against the mastic? I have seen plenty of videos of how to plaster internal reveals but I can never see if there is already sealant there.

What would be the best way of tackling this?
Just skim it. What’s the worse that can happen