Plastering Up To An Angle

Members online

What he means is if that was a plasterer I would tell him to run as that doesn’t look good .... as for the wet trowel picture doesn’t look good ...to be honest the first flatten after the second coat should be damn near perfect if not you will be try like hell to bring it back
The wet trowel is really for just fixing any little imperfections not for trying get it smooth

Last edited:
What he means is if that was a plasterer I would tell him to run as that doesn’t look good .... as for the wet trowel picture doesn’t look good ...to be honest the first flatten after the second coat should be damn near perfect if not you will be try like hell to bring it back
The wet trowel is really for just fixing any little imperfections not for trying get it smooth

I appreciate the feedback, I'm still learning and certainly do not class myself as any kind of professional but it's good to hear where I'm going wrong and how to improve.

The pictures to be fair dont really do it justice and are highlighting areas which look worse than what they actually are.

Wet trowel

Fair play for giving it a go. Just goes to show a photo of a painted ceiling looks alright however it's plastered lol. You've second coated that far to soon, and didn't get the first coat flat enough, that's your problem

I appreciate your comments and it's good to know how it should look, but in fairness your picture is head on, without lighting. Have you got any side on shots? I would be interested to see.
I listened to what you have said ...and I am out (y)

You haven't removed or even loosened the plug or light switch? TBF it doesn't look much better when you zoom in....
This was unscrewed by the customer...I am not an electrician so let the customer do it.... he did unscrew it on this occasion but there was not enough wire to pull it right out .... I thank you for comments ... I always try to help newbies that come on here as much possible... but you sir are just absolute F*****g knobhead who should go and take flying f**k to yourself and piss off to another site oh another your plastering s absolutely F*****g shite ...,I am out knobhead

This was unscrewed by the customer...I am not an electrician so let the customer do it.... he did unscrew it on this occasion but there was not enough wire to pull it right out .... I thank you for comments ... I always try to help newbies that come on here as much possible... but you sir are just absolute F*****g knobhead who should go and take flying f**k to yourself and piss off to another site oh another your plastering s absolutely F*****g shite ...,I am out knobhead
Pussy lol

Fair play for giving it a go. Just goes to show a photo of a painted ceiling looks alright however it's plastered lol. You've second coated that far to soon, and didn't get the first coat flat enough, that's your problem

Cheers, I appreciate the feedback. Yeah I did lay on the second as soon as I had flatten off the first. Should wait a bit longer eh?

Cheers, I appreciate the feedback. Yeah I did lay on the second as soon as I had flatten off the first. Should wait a bit longer eh?
Over artex you want to leave the first coat to be almost completely gone, or you'll never get the second coat flat. As a rough guide around an hour after you've mixed up the first coat you want to mix up the second, abit longer if you've added bonding

That's why sparkies get the big bucks and do the training, those 2 screws are tough to get out. You say you try to help newbies as much as possible, I'm not sure how saying run away, and posting a picture of an averagely plastered wall is much help? I've actually given him some advice which will make his next ceiling much better and easier. Best of luck making the jump from labourer to plasterer at some point

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why sparkies get the big bucks and do the training, those 2 screws are tough to get out. Best of luck making the jump from labourer to plasterer at some point
If anything goes wrong with the electrical wires in the house there is no comeback on me that’s why I don’t take the screws out or touch plugs...good luck with your transfer from prick to knobhead

That's why sparkies get the big bucks and do the training, those 2 screws are tough to get out. You say you try to help newbies as much as possible, I'm not sure how saying run away, and posting a picture of an averagely plastered wall is much help? I've actually given him some advice which will make his next ceiling much better and easier. Best of luck making the jump from labourer to plasterer at some point
Ouch

Over artex you want to leave the first coat to be almost completely gone, or you'll never get the second coat flat. As a rough guide around an hour after you've mixed up the first coat you want to mix up the second, abit longer if you've added bonding

That's some sound advice many thanks.

If anything goes wrong with the electrical wires in the house there is no comeback on me that’s why I don’t take the screws out or touch plugs...good luck with your transfer from prick to knobhead
What a load of b*ll***s. I’ve loosened off thousands of plugs and switches and never had a problem. Skimming around sockets and switches is for diy

What a load of b*ll***s. I’ve loosened off thousands of plugs and switches and never had a problem. Skimming around sockets and switches is for diy
I am sorry for sounding so unprofessional and bow and ask for your forgiveness for not being as professional and as knowledgeable as you

I always looeen and take off and often replace the face plates for new ifbthey are a bit scabby... its household electrics.... easier than skimming.

Now... plumbing can sod off.... had a lovely leak when I took a rad off... ended up replastering the whole house... they paid me to

Just out of curiosity, on the first coat would you flatten off straight away after laying on or let it pick up for a bit?

On artex I flatten 2 or three times on first coat . Gets all air out and pushes it in to pattern. Just works for me
Exactly as John said. Flatten off straight away then a further 1 time at least, but usually 2. 15-20minutes inbetween flattens generally. Knowing when to sit on your arse and do nothing is one of the hardest skills of plastering

Cheers both. Yes 100% agree with that!! One thing I seem to struggle with on artex ceiling is making sure the stipples can't be seen. Although the surface is flat they can still be seen slightly. That's why I added bonding to the first coat and made both coats thick. It still didn't seem to be enough though. Is this due to your first comment about not leaving the first coat long enough would you say?

Cheers both. Yes 100% agree with that!! One thing I seem to struggle with on artex ceiling is making sure the stipples can't be seen. Although the surface is flat they can still be seen slightly. That's why I added bonding to the first coat and made both coats thick. It still didn't seem to be enough though. Is this due to your first comment about not leaving the first coat long enough would you say?
It will definitely help with that yes. The more you go over the first coat the flatter it's going to be when you apply the second which makes it much easier and ultimately better finish. If it's thick artex chuck slightly more bonding in first coat