Plastering Sand

Ian-s

Started a small rendering job today using plastering sand, but the sand looks more like building sand rather than a clean sharp sand. Has anyone used it and thinks it's any good

I'm using something like this on a job at the moment aswell, very red looking sand, I'd describe it as fine fine sharp, seems ok, from travis perkins, probably wouldn't go too weak on it, and mix it a bit stiff,
spreads and rules off ok.

I'm using something like this on a job at the moment aswell, very red looking sand, I'd describe it as fine fine sharp, seems ok, from travis perkins, probably wouldn't go too weak on it, and mix it a bit stiff,
spreads and rules off ok.
Same here it looks red and fine but not sharp, got it from b&q, it's good to use but I'm not convinced it's good for long term strength,
I wouldn't use it again instead I'd look for good quality sharp sand, cheers

I use the Tarmac OCR for my render jobs. I find it finishes well and looks good as it is all the same colour.
I don't care about the cost of the material that gets handed on to the client. I just want what is best for myself.

I use the Tarmac OCR for my render jobs. I find it finishes well and looks good as it is all the same colour.
I don't care about the cost of the material that gets handed on to the client. I just want what is best for myself.
And so do we . Aswell as weber ocr better around product

It's been years since I done any rendering and didn't think about trying ocr but will next time. Looked at the plastering sand in jewsons and that looks like building sand too, just seems like plastering sand isn't any good

Always a good idea to test the sand, 100mm of fairly well compacted sand in a jar, give it a really good shake up and allow it to settle. If you’ve got more 10mm or more of fines on the top don’t use it.
I test it by rubbing it between my hands, if it feels sharp and my hands stay clean I think its ok