plastering over wood chip style lining paper

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvey

hello folks..

just bought a new place and the walls are lined with a wood chip style paper. (popular in the sixties and seventies i think)
can i employ someone to plaster straight over the top of it or should i strip it off first?

your advice is greatly appreciated!!

with thanks in advance,

harvey the carpenter.

mate its always best to strip every morsall of paper but and there will be plenty tell you different i have on rare occasion succesfully plastered over painted woodchip but as i say it can go pear shaped it would be the spreads call

I know your pain as i too once had a house covered in wood chip and it is the devil of all paper to strip it takes a while to get off but you do need to get it off even if it means taking off the backing plaster.

my house was the same , i found the best way to get it off was to use a wood plane all over it then just give it a quick soaking and off it comes , if it's on a ceiling just overboard it

All ways remember these words "PLASTER ON WOOD AIN'T NO GOOD-PLASTER ON PAPER ALWAYS A DISASTER"

Thank you fellas,

Always great to get the opinion of a commited pro...
The internet is a wonderful thing.

My mate reckons you can hire some kind of roller which will spike loads of holes in the paper therefore making the steaming process more effective.

Cheers,
h

u got to scrape all the chips off and the then score the paper horizontally or diagonaly to the left and then to the right so u create diomand shapes ... before steaming. if i was u i would buy a heavy duty scraper with replaceable blades and a pair of work glove's because your gona get blisters. those rollers with spikes on wont be any good on this occasion.

harvey said:
Thank you fellas,

Always great to get the opinion of a commited pro...
The internet is a wonderful thing.

My mate reckons you can hire some kind of roller which will spike loads of holes in the paper therefore making the steaming process more effective.

Cheers,
h

yea you can buy one for like £10 they are gr8! as in i keep my'n by my bed side as i would be a gr8 tool to fend of any intruder!

if all else fails you could dab it tight as poss and mechanically fix through the dabs when set

harvey said:
hello folks..

just bought a new place and the walls are lined with a wood chip style paper. (popular in the sixties and seventies i think)
can i employ someone to plaster straight over the top of it or should i strip it off first?

your advice is greatly appreciated!!

with thanks in advance,

harvey the carpenter.
new to forum oldskool plasterer get it off all off elbow greese and a decent lab

Status
Not open for further replies.