Plastering over wallpaper

Members online

John Quinn

Wots the craic!

I’m doing a refurb job for a mate (mates rates), he bought an old house, decided to rip the old painted, embossed, some woodchip wallpaper off! Long story short, took him six weeks to get the paper off 3 floors of landings and stairways (tomoro will have me finishing the re plastering, nightmare off a job), he now wants living room and 3 bedrooms done but without the hassle of removing the paper/old plaster! I have suggested re boarding. The doorframe arc retires are massive raised out ones, the same around the windows, so would hardly notice an extra 10/12 mm added. My question here is has anyone ever did this before! In my head I’m thinking bonding compound dot and dab then drill holes and hammer in fixings!!!? Wud this be suffice?? Or just get the walls batoned then board.

I have to point out, I’m trying to keep the cost down for him as much as I can!

To be honest, he’s a computer geek, no manual work in him, his 18 yr old son did all the stripping back. In fairness I did suggest the re boarding! He’s happy to go with it. The biggest room, the living room is approx 5x5x2.5m, an extra pair of hands to board then skim it myself, 3 days tops! I’m working on day rate do taking the 5 days at it! I would just like to hear some feedback/suggestions as to the method of boarding! Do others think the dot and dab with compound along with fixings nailed in would be ok or should I tell him to get a joiner in to fix batons around the walls?

To be honest, he’s a computer geek, no manual work in him, his 18 yr old son did all the stripping back. In fairness I did suggest the re boarding! He’s happy to go with it. The biggest room, the living room is approx 5x5x2.5m, an extra pair of hands to board then skim it myself, 3 days tops! I’m working on day rate do taking the 5 days at it! I would just like to hear some feedback/suggestions as to the method of boarding! Do others think the dot and dab with compound along with fixings nailed in would be ok or should I tell him to get a joiner in to fix batons around the walls?

@god

Ok....I'll say it....I've plastered over woodchip before :LOL:
Bonded over it tight. Let it dry...then skimmed.
I'm a bad man.
I.ve skimmed over paper . Builder gave go on it as it wouldnt come of . Still on as far as i know

Grit it,,,, tell him if any stuff bubbles, blows he pays you to fix it,,, it's not recommended. Any stuff bubbles in small areas use make good 20 min set to patch.
It's in the hands of the gods.

Ok....I'll say it....I've plastered over woodchip before :LOL:
Bonded over it tight. Let it dry...then skimmed.
I'm a bad man.
If you blue grit it then skim it the skim coat will not penetrate the grit hense it will not peel..
I skimmed a whole house this way last year because the chip paper was welded to the walls and we had no chance getting it off..
Great time saver yes there will be some on here saying “rough c**t” but honestly I could not give a s**t because it works

If you blue grit it then skim it the skim coat will not penetrate the grit hense it will not peel..
I skimmed a whole house this way last year because the chip paper was welded to the walls and we had no chance getting it off..
Great time saver yes there will be some on here saying “rough c**t” but honestly I could not give a s**t because it works
Did i ceiling few weeks back and paint peeled in loads of places. Went back to sort it as promised and got asked to skim a wall .Paint pealed again also on walls they were just repainting so knew it wasnt my fault.
Customer said they think its cause they had put silk paint on matt.. there was no way i could of said this would of happened so just used pva but would grit have stopped this

Did i ceiling few weeks back and paint peeled in loads of places. Went back to sort it as promised and got asked to skim a wall .Paint pealed again also on walls they were just repainting so knew it wasnt my fault.
Customer said they think its cause they had put silk paint on matt.. there was no way i could of said this would of happened so just used pva but would grit have stopped this

I had the same problem in my own house, the paper would not budge. After an hour thought f**k this. Went out and bought board and insta fix. Stuck board over the top then screwed tapcon concrete screws @400mm centres. I would never overskim anything in my own house again. Its turned an old property into a brand new house. Outside walls i put 25mm celotex under the plasterboard, very snug.

Welcome jhon no problem..
I used to get it all the time until I started using the grit mate..
I have been ripped on here a few times for swearing by blue grit nice to know that a fellow member takes the advice..
After all we are never to old to learn a new trick..

This way does sounds a lot handier! I wondering thi, Will the blue grit over the paper not soak into the paper making it peel off? I would probaly put a coat of bonding on before skimming thi, would this not be too much gear on the wall too? Cheaper way of doing it all the same. Thanks for the feedback!

Welcome jhon no problem..
I used to get it all the time until I started using the grit mate..
I have been ripped on here a few times for swearing by blue grit nice to know that a fellow member takes the advice..
After all we are never to old to learn a new trick..
What makes grit awkward is it needs to be on 24 hour before.

I had the same problem in my own house, the paper would not budge. After an hour thought f**k this. Went out and bought board and insta fix. Stuck board over the top then screwed tapcon concrete screws @400mm centres. I would never overskim anything in my own house again. Its turned an old property into a brand new house. Outside walls i put 25mm celotex under the plasterboard, very snug.

This method was my first thought on how ti get around it!! Thanks

This way does sounds a lot handier! I wondering thi, Will the blue grit over the paper not soak into the paper making it peel off? I would probaly put a coat of bonding on before skimming thi, would this not be too much gear on the wall too? Cheaper way of doing it all the same. Thanks for the feedback!

Think about it this way my old mate why would the blue grit soak into the wallpaper when even water and steam fails to take it off??
Trust me I’ve skimmed a house top to bottom using this method and it works ..

Danny you are spot on my old mate thank god the governor knows what he is talking about aswell because sometimes people give good advice on here for the piss to be ripped..Shame because this is a useful site.
Blue grit is far superior to pva

Hahah I over engineer everything I do... I hate doing most things so the thought of doing it twice pisses me off :D