Plastering over stippled Artex

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin01

Noobie looking for some advice…

I have a proper 1980s chimney breast covered at the moment in horrible stippled Artex.
How is best to get this to a nice plastered finish for painting?

I have a couple of points to start with, no doubt there will be many more.
  • Should I just “knock-off” the raised stipples, and then skim over with plaster to a flat finish?
  • The Artex has been previously painted, is there any preparation I need to do in order for the skim coat to stick?
The “feature” wall and gas fire in the photograph will be removed, and I plan to build cupboards and a bookcase/shelving into the two alcoves.

This will be my first attempt at plastering so any and all advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210406_060354.jpg
    20210406_060354.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 252
Reminds me of an I****n restaurant, but looking ahead, you want it to look good, get a plasterer in and just get it done properly, where are you based martin 01.

if you don't know how to prep that background correctly then you don't know how to plaster it properly.
I you think plastering is just a 10 minute youtube video then you're going to be sadly disappointed, .....you might be a keen D.I.Y.er but there are some jobs pal that you've just got to say to yourself "I'm out of my depth here"
So my advice is do yourself a favour and get a proper spread in to do it

if you don't know how to prep that background correctly then you don't know how to plaster it properly.
I you think plastering is just a 10 minute youtube video then you're going to be sadly disappointed, .....you might be a keen D.I.Y.er but there are some jobs pal that you've just got to say to yourself "I'm out of my depth here"
So my advice is do yourself a favour and get a proper spread in to do it
Thanks for the encouragement pal. I'm sure even you, being the master tradesman that you no doubt tell yourself you are, had to start somewhere.

You ain't gunna be able to plaster that chimney breast to any kind of decent finish as diy to a few straight and arched angles not straight forward for a newbie at all

As stewie said, that's not going to go well for you at all. Pay a plasterer

You ain't gunna be able to plaster that chimney breast to any kind of decent finish as diy to a few straight and arched angles not straight forward for a newbie at all
Thanks for the comment. The only area that requires finishing to a paintable surface is the front face of the chimney breast. All areas to the sides, alcoves, etc. will be hidden by built-in cupboards and shelving. I just thought it would be a nice small area to have a go myself, if I fail I'll get someone in. Not aimed at you mate, but I am actually regretting coming on this site for a bit of advice. All I seem to be getting is - if you've never done it before you can't do it - and all I wanted to do was have a bit of a go myself!

Reminds me of an I****n restaurant, but looking ahead, you want it to look good, get a plasterer in and just get it done properly, where are you based martin 01.
Tell me about it Brian, I have to come downstairs to that every morning! I'm based in Bristol. I know plenty of tradesmen, but as it is only the front face of the chimney breast that needs doing I fancied having a little go myself. If it all goes pear-shaped then I'll get someone in.

you said any and all advice would be appreciated, then don't like it.
With no experience, artex and shapes, it simply is not a diy starter job, and everybody has said the same.

They haven't been rude, and have all agreed, (both of which is unusual), because you've asked nicely, but genuinely told you because it is so clearly not a noobie DIY job.
If it goes pearshaped it will cost you extra for the trade to take off whatever you have done, probably including the artex, or board over and hide it.
There are loads of artex threads on here if you want to look, it's not a quick answer. Take the expert advice.

you said any and all advice would be appreciated, then don't like it.
With no experience, artex and shapes, it simply is not a diy starter job, and everybody has said the same.

They haven't been rude, and have all agreed, (both of which is unusual), because you've asked nicely, but genuinely told you because it is so clearly not a noobie DIY job.
If it goes pearshaped it will cost you extra for the trade to take off whatever you have done, probably including the artex, or board over and hide it.
There are loads of artex threads on here if you want to look, it's not a quick answer. Take the expert advice.
It's not a question of me not liking the answer as you put it. I was just expecting something other than just being told to pay someone else to do it. I honestly thought these forums were a place to get help and advice, not a straight pay someone else! Maybe something along the lines of - "you'll need to remove all the stippling, prepare the surface with this, then do this, but to be honest Martin it is a bit of a difficult job for a first go, you would be better off getting someone in". Don't know where you get the shapes bit from unless by shapes you mean a rectangle, this being the front face of the chimney breast which is all that requires plastering! Thank you for your comment.

It's not a question of me not liking the answer as you put it. I was just expecting something other than just being told to pay someone else to do it. I honestly thought these forums were a place to get help and advice, not a straight pay someone else! Maybe something along the lines of - "you'll need to remove all the stippling, prepare the surface with this, then do this, but to be honest Martin it is a bit of a difficult job for a first go, you would be better off getting someone in". Don't know where you get the shapes bit from unless by shapes you mean a rectangle, this being the front face of the chimney breast which is all that requires plastering! Thank you for your comment.
@Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.