Plastering over silk paint

finlamit

Hi all!

I have moved into a house and looking to do a spot of decorating. It looks like the previous owner has done some plaster patch repair work to a wall which looks god-awful (As you can see from the image). They have then painted all of the walls in a hideous pink silk.

Ideally I would like to skim these walls to make them flat and smooth. Whats the best way to prep the walls for plastering over silk paint? Obviously I don't want it to fall off the wall! I am a competent DIY plasterer however this is the first occasions where I need to skim over gloss.

Thanks

M

Attachments

• 20210902_141054.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 252
Hi all!

I have moved into a house and looking to do a spot of decorating. It looks like the previous owner has done some plaster patch repair work to a wall which looks god-awful (As you can see from the image). They have then painted all of the walls in a hideous pink silk.

Ideally I would like to skim these walls to make them flat and smooth. Whats the best way to prep the walls for plastering over silk paint? Obviously I don't want it to fall off the wall! I am a competent DIY plasterer however this is the first occasions where I need to skim over gloss.

Thanks

M
Get some grit, I think wickes selling it for 22 quid a tub, pink stuff with grit in it. Paint it on, leave it to dry, then you good to go