Plastering over painted masonry

reidyg

Hi Everyone,
I've been renovating my house over the last few years and the end is nearly in sight. It's an old mass concrete bungalow and I have new windows gone in that had to be strapped to the outside. I need to replaster the outside because of this, plus it would really freshen up (and square up...) the exterior. The exterior is smooth and painted and I don't want the hassle of kangoing it off.
My dad is an old school builder and he has suggested using SS riblath and plastering over it.
My cousin who skimmed the inside suggested fixing cement board and using something like K rend.
Whatever happens, I won't be doing it. It's only the front of the house so not a big job. I really prefer a plastered look as I don't like the render look. I don't have room for external insulation, so that's out of the question.
I'd love to hear anyone's feedback or advice.

Hi Everyone,
I've been renovating my house over the last few years and the end is nearly in sight. It's an old mass concrete bungalow and I have new windows gone in that had to be strapped to the outside. I need to replaster the outside because of this, plus it would really freshen up (and square up...) the exterior. The exterior is smooth and painted and I don't want the hassle of kangoing it off.
My dad is an old school builder and he has suggested using SS riblath and plastering over it.
My cousin who skimmed the inside suggested fixing cement board and using something like K rend.
Whatever happens, I won't be doing it. It's only the front of the house so not a big job. I really prefer a plastered look as I don't like the render look. I don't have room for external insulation, so that's out of the question.
I'd love to hear anyone's feedback or advice.
Put a picture up mate. You might think about grinding lines into the painted render then sbr cement slurry before you apply your scratch coat. The original render needs to be solid though

I've done a couple of these as long as the existing render is sound, wire attachment on a grinder to take off any loose paint ,cut lines with said grinder for a good key ,rendagrit then mesh basecoat and silicone finish takes all the hassle out of hacking off .

Some decent advice above from Mark.. Especially the mesh can't go wrong there....

When you say that the build is 'mass concrete' i presume that you mean no fines.
you need to employ a plasterer with experience of using Parex Parinter with a full mesh render system.
what area is you property ? you may get a quote from a plasterer on the forum.

The problem i found with a 50s -60s house is the render is done to last and hacking off all the render was leaving a lot of damage to the fabric of the building with the bricks being shot to bits especially around pipes and windows and leaving cracks to the inside with either a 50mm cavity or 9inc solid wall and found the beat option to remove loose.

Riblath went out with Margaret thatcher in 1990 mate

move with the times ignore your dads advice he’s no plasterer this could end up a disaster especially with all this use a grinder b*ll***s