Plastering over painted artex!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaspire

Hello! Hope everyone is busy!

Just after a few tips if possible.

I've been asked to plaster a friends kitchen over the existing artex. Normally I would take off high points, clean, pva then first coat. Let this pull tight leaving for a little longer than normal then on with the second coat.

The main concern I have is the artex is painted with a high gloss kitchen vinyl paint which has been on a good few years so adding in the grease that would of been picked up too. what is the best way to prepare the surface?

Will it need a good scrub down with something like sugar soap first or will something like blue grit do the job at covering it?

I've never used anything but pva so any suggestions would be grateful.

As its for a friend and up to now I've never had the plaster come off the wall I was hoping to get it right to save my pride!

Thanks

I would recommend screwing new plasterboard over the existing or pull down existing and put new board up, anything else is too,much work for little,gain and possible fail fail fail

Thanks for the reply. I think the plan will be to pull down the ceiling and any walls that are boarded already but I know two walls are solid on the external side and don't think we will have the room in the kitchen to overboard these.

Sugar soap helps of course, pva and scrape also helps, horrible work especially when you want a lasting finish ,

I know been trying to get out of it for ages as can see the pitfalls already but he has been asking me for ages! His house is full of the stuff! Got the kitchen and bathroom to replace so its a big job on its own without the artex getting in the way! Think I will get him on the sugar soap before I start! Thanks again John

If you pull down the existing ceiling find out how old the artex is, asbestos may be in older artex....

Another option if you dont fancy the overboard, scrape off high points blue grit day before (or pink grit Knauf) base coat with MF and couple handfulls of bonding let it set then a fresh coat of MF over the top

Your right m8, test it first! am i right in thinking any artex used in the last 10-15years doesnt have asbestos in it anyway? its only the really old stuff you have to worry about?

As we all know, your plaster is only as good as what it's sticking to so no matter what you coat the glossed artex with if the paints not adhered to the artex properly in the first place then your wasting your time. Overboarding is the best solution but if I wanted to just skim it and take the chance then I would coat it in British gypsum bond-it the day before. It sticks to anything and anything sticks to it !

The only thing i would say against over boarding is if a leak ever occured above the ceiling it would have to penetrate trough 2 layers of slabs and skim before you would notice a leak.if a radiator had a small leak for example it would mean there is fresh water running through the system (oxidised) and this can cause harm to pipe work.id take down old slabs and re slab and skim the lot.gaurenteed job.

Status
Not open for further replies.