Plastering onto foam spray insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmcl101

Hi, I'm new here. Been plastering for about 6 years now and have seen most things I need to know. This however is a new animal entirely.

Pricing a barn conversion currently and the client has had a company called "foam spray" spray this expanding foam type insulation over every external wall. its almost like a Tyrolene finish out of foam to describe as best I can.

has anyone set on this before ? Manufacturer claims no PVA needed and multi finish can go straight into it without any cracking/sucktion.

Interested to hear others experience

Thanks

The company used were foamspray.co.uk

i am unsure of the product name exactly. The client has plastered one wall on it himself and although ruff due to not being troweled v well, it appears to be adhered fine with no cracks/blows.

Me either !

Company website is foamseal.co.uk

I can't find the name of the exact product, it looks just like expanding foam though with a dashed finish. It's the one under "barn conv" on the website.

No product name on their site

they're called foamseal.co.uk, it's the product listed under barns

Foamseal can be plastered over for a beautiful finish, leaving most of the rafter exposed. If you are planning to plaster over Foamseal, the foam will require a certain amount of cutting back and trimming and the overspray will need to be removed from the beams, but this work can be organised in conjunction with your builders or plasterers.

shouldnt take long to cut that back. im sure the builders will help

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol yeah it seems a bit of a pig as they've gone hung ho and spayed it everywhere. Corners need to be cut back everywhere and its high level. Apparently this stuff is increasingly popular abroad, first job I've ever seen with it and ive done maybe 25 barn conversions previous

Doesn't really give you much information plastering wise but like a lot of damp companies they will pass the problem On to the plasterer. If you keyed it enough and applied a pre grit you could float with bonding then skim but what will happen once it gets cold or expands more it's is the problem when it fails. You could use a sand and cement but I would say no suction would be a problem then maybe you would have to use a lime based product, but either way I would be looking for some kind of back up from the foam company before I started, and if they haven't got a spec I would steer clear.

Ive done one loft after permaseal have been and done that like , aye its a ******* having to clean it all off like and cut back etc lol

I've dib n dobbed onto this stuff. Held fine and it's been solid ever since. That's not a green light though every jobs different and you should get the go ahead from the manufacturer beforehand.

that dryfix expands slightly even though its advertised as not doing so. you need to prop any boards if you dont want a wall that steps all over the place.

The new design is a bit better and would keep a couple of cans in the van for very small jobs or as additional fixing in different situations.
As for the barn conversion as bubbles says i wouldnt trust it to plaster onto but batten and board over it.The spraying of the material has just saved a lot of labour time as to celotex, kingspan etc. In between the beams.

Status
Not open for further replies.