Plastering on to bricks painted with Matt paint

Members online

Napes99

So I’m going to attempt plastering over an old external cavity brick wall. The wall is now internal due to a new door being fitted which has left the old porch inside the house.

Can I plaster straight on to the paint? It is in good condition and as it is Matt it’s not smooth.

Do I need to coat with anything first. It’s only about 2 metre sq.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 195
So I’m going to attempt plastering over an old external cavity brick wall. The wall is now internal due to a new door being fitted which has left the old porch inside the house.

Can I plaster straight on to the paint? It is in good condition and as it is Matt it’s not smooth.

Thanks
@bobski

Thanks
get tapit in he'll bead angle and skim straight onto brick......

tapit.jpg

Thanks for all your replies. I don’t want to board it as I’m eating in to the PVC door frame as it is. Was hoping to just use one coat of undercoat plaster then a visit of finishing plaster. The paint isn’t smooth so I’m thinking the plaster will bond ok??

Thanks for all your replies. I don’t want to board it as I’m eating in to the PVC door frame as it is. Was hoping to just use one coat of undercoat plaster then a visit of finishing plaster. The paint isn’t smooth so I’m thinking the plaster will bond ok??

Prime with wickes bonding agent

Scrape a tight coat of bonding over, thin as you like,

Skim away

So I’ve PVA’d the bricks. Done one coat of Thistle undercoat, keyed it. Do you reckon another undercoat and then a finishing coat?

Can see the outline of bricks but no indents. Probs best to do another layer of Thistle undercoat and then skim eh?

Attachments

• 45C3E838-CD2D-4DBD-9EF4-9AB153128562.jpeg
    45C3E838-CD2D-4DBD-9EF4-9AB153128562.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 203
  • 26D65EC9-30A2-4DFA-85B9-D3232874669D.jpeg
    26D65EC9-30A2-4DFA-85B9-D3232874669D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 205
Haha laugh it up. Not bad for a first attempt at plastering. Need to start somewhere. Second coat done.
Now do I let it before finishing coat?

Pleased with this as my first time plastering.

Now just need to smooth off and paint.

Attachments

• 7FCD2816-F24C-4698-BE74-593F1946A305.jpeg
    7FCD2816-F24C-4698-BE74-593F1946A305.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 146