Plastering on painted brickwork

Tommytippy

Hi all

Have a victorian property. The predecessor painted the brickwork. I want to render over the top.

I understand you can score it with a grinder

Or

Fix metal mesh to the wall then sand and cement

Or

Is there another method with fibre mesh and say a K-REND system that will go straight on?

Any advice as to the best option would be greatly appreciated. My preferred option would be a coloured K-rend system so I don't need to repaint after.

Thanks

Tom

If the paint is sound and solid as it were. Parex do a product called Parinter that you can apply. One of the render guys like @Rigsby will know best

Hi all

Have a victorian property. The predecessor painted the brickwork. I want to render over the top.

I understand you can score it with a grinder

Or

Fix metal mesh to the wall then sand and cement

Or

Is there another method with fibre mesh and say a K-REND system that will go straight on?

Any advice as to the best option would be greatly appreciated. My preferred option would be a coloured K-rend system so I don't need to repaint after.

Thanks

Tom
K-rend hpx base coat, full fibre mesh & silicone k1 top coat.

Just been to look at two big bay windows that have been added to an old post office. Builder tells me the client wants k rend like the house opposite which is clearly sand and cement probably done 40 + years ago :D

Several options available. Parex do parinter but the paint needs to be clean and sound.

Or angle grind / sand blast it off and use a bonding agent or sticky base render.

Fix expanded metal lathing although I would still use a bonding agent under it. The sort you put on and let dry. Otherwise all you have got is a render carrier. Risk of cracking.

Have spoke to K-rend many times and the only time they have said go over paint their spec was plugging the mesh, saying that though we get told a different thing every time we call them depending on who we speak to

Yeh they do say different things all the time.... never been told to plug the mesh. Maybe next time?
Different areas get different calculations from them.

Personally I would use parex parinter.prime then a texture finish
Done a few now and it's a good system
Make sure the paint is sound mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk