Plastering Jargon - The language of plasterers explained...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigsegs

shall we start with 'A'..
um.. what begins with 'a'??
or better still, post up all yer weird and wonderful names for techniques and products and ill edit em into a list..
credit given obviously.. ;D

A : 'Andboard' - northern term meaning 'Hawk' or 'Hand board' to be precise
B : 'Bonding', 'Bonding out' - gypsum based backing plaster designed for low
suction backgrounds, bonding out sometimes used to describe the filling of
chases/patches with ANY gypsum backing plaster (general term)
C : 'Cellotex' - trade name for sheet insulation usually yellow and foil covered, also
see 'kingspan'
'Closing in' - term applied to the process of finishing a surface, tightening the
surface to a smoother, more compact and therefore stronger finish
D : 'Devil float' - usually an ordinary float with a few screws/nails knocked in to a
projection of 2-3mm. Used to key the surface of backing coats such as internal
render to accept finish plaster.
'Darby' - long flat blade (3 - 5 feet x 4-5 inches) with handles, usually
aluminium, sometimes magnesium or polyeurathane, used for straightening,
flattening and closing in backing coats.
'Doofer', 'Doorazzmo', 'doobury' - You figure it out (see 'wotsit') :p
E : 'By gum'
F : 'Float' or 'Floating up' - a ridgid, flat tool used for final finishing of backing
coats/render usually made of plastic (polyurethane) or wood but can be covered
by a sponge pad for gypsum based backing plaster or one coat plaster. Rubbed
over the surface to close in the finish, flatten off and remove blemishes.
'Friable' - loose, crumbly, fragile
G : 'Gypbond' - all encompassing trade term refering to products designed to
provide a key on smooth surfaces e.g. 'Thistle bond-it, Wickes bonding agent,
Knauf Betocontackt' etc..
'Guage' - see 'set' same as...
H : hy·gro·scop·ic
Pronunciation: \ˌhī-grə-ˈskä-pik\
Function: adjective
1 : readily taking up and retaining moisture
2 : taken up and retained under some conditions of humidity and temperature
hygroscopic water in clay
— hy·gro·scop·ic·i·ty \-(ˌ)skä-ˈpi-sə-tē\ noun (from miriam webster dictionary)
or 'hygroscopic salts' - found within bricks, comes out and manifests itself on
the surface when moisture trapped within the bricks evaporates
I : 'wish i was down the pub'
J :
K : 'Kingspan' - see 'cellotex'
L : 'Laying on' - the fine art of gettting plaster out of a bucket or off a board and
on to the wall/ceiling without getting it all over the place
M : 'Muck' - whatever your spreading on the wall be it finish, hardwall, render or
catshit..
N :
O : 'OPC' - Ordinary portland cement
P : 'PVA' - polyvinylacetate, used for controlling suction, NOT creating a key
Q : 'Quickcem' - fast setting cement
R : 'Rake' - specifically the angle of a ceiling e.g. "30 degree rake"
'Round' - when you ask the labourer for thicker mix ,like it you have a thick
frame to work on you say " oi make the next one round you dopey coont "
S : 'Set' - the area of plaster that can be laid on and finished in one go, before it
sets
T : 'Twitch', 'Twitcher' - Plasterers slang for an internal corner trowel, flexible (ish),
designed for dryliners and adopted by mainstream plasterers to help finish 'wet
corners', others use the same name for external angle trowels, ridgid and used
in the absence of a corner bead..
U :
V :
W : 'WBA' -Wickes plaster bonding agent
'Wet corner' - two adjacent surfaces layed on and finished in the same set
'Wotsit' - cheesy snack, see 'Doofer'
X :
Y :
Z :

Contribution credits to Napper,Spunkybum,Pug,grand wizard,platinum,hollybank,church,MFW.........Warrior (his idea) ;D

B: "b*ll***s", a term that can be heard echoing all over building sites arround the country and possibly the world, usually when one's labourer forgets to add the cement to a mix and you have laid up 100m of rendering.

Rich

bigsegs said:
F - 'Fuckwit' - the term applied to a plasterer who manages to lay up 100 square metres of render without realising theres no cement in it!
sorry rich.. you asked for that one mate ;D

LOL thanks :)

Rich

I bet we've all actually seen or experienced the old 'invible cement trick' at some point or other.. I know I have.. maybe not 100 metre though.. ;D

ive used no cement in the mix as a dubbing out coat around beads prob comes close to one of the worst things that can happen to you .......at least it's nice and easy to scrape off!
heres one for jargon not sure if it's nationwide but we call angle trowels 'twitchers'

was about to put twitcher in spunky or one old fella i worked with called it a doofer come to think of it anything he think of its name was a doofer senile old c**t ;D

has anyone ever come across the saying ' F*** it it's not my house' ???

never..not once.. ever.. what on earth are you on about?? ;D

i think the northern equivalent is ....'fook it cant see it from my house' ;D

nah youve got us there warrior, youre gonna have to describe that one? ;D

A-- Afterwork, the best part of the day, in the pub havin a couple of scoops to settle the dust and chatting crap to each other

t twitcher this is the term for an external angle trowel not internal i know im being picky but there you go an internal is an angle iron and plasterers should be plaisterers im a c**t

ill stick it in mate but every one i know calls the internals a twitch? never have found out where the term origionated though? anyone?

platinum said:
wba - wickes bonding agent
bloody hell why didnt I or anyone else mention this one before?? ;D
shouldof been the first one in!!

"Round" when you ask the labourer for thicker mix ,like it you have a thick frame to work on you say " oi make the next one round you dopey coont "

M: Muck.

As in : "Fetch me another bucket of muck". (A polite request to one's labourer requesting he mixes another batch of plaster)

A twitcher is a three sided internal angle trowel, with a rectangular base and two narrower sides set at right angles to the base, with the leading edge of the sides cut at a 45degree angle sloping back towards the handle.

grand wizard said:
that's an angle iron mate a twitcher is made from copper for externals
This is not to say your wrong Grand just to say that certain tools have different names in different areas.
In Essex a Twitcher is definitely as I described before, in another subject in general discusions someone recommended I think Kraft Tools, on their website they show the tool I described and call it a Twitch and I have seen the same in different catalogues over the years. I'd be really interested to know the different names for common tools around the country, if I ever get round to learning how to put pictures on this site I will photograph some tools and see what it throws up.

P- Podger, Plunger Terms used to describe a hand mixer or for a monday morning talk about getting yer Nat King Cole.

internal angle trowel called a "twitcher" 3 main types of arris, square, pencil round and bull nose
external angle trowel called a "noser" same types, square, pencil round and bull nose
very difficult to get hold of bull nose twitch and noser, made by tyzack up till about 1985 but still get square twitch and noser
will upload photos of each one if anyone interested

gilesy said:
internal angle trowel called a "twitcher" 3 main types of arris, square, pencil round and bull nose
external angle trowel called a "noser" same types, square, pencil round and bull nose
very difficult to get hold of bull nose twitch and noser, made by tyzack up till about 1985 but still get square twitch and noser
will upload photos of each one if anyone interested

Marshalltown still make a bullnose "noser", I picked one up only a little while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.