Plastering finishes and Decorating starts - the line?

Members online

LarryTheDecorator

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while (not since death threats from lurpak about using a dodgy sack of out of date grit).

Anyway, I've taken up decorating, and enjoy it - I'm getting far more enjoyment out of this than the previous job!

I'm having routine issues with plasterer finishes, they tell the client that the decorator will fix problems (poor finishing around sockets/windows, general edging and bumps). I fix them, but at what point/poor finish should I be telling the client they need get the plasterer back to fix their crap? So far every single client doesn't seem to realise how the finish quality should be.

God's gift...your starting to get me you old fart :hola:
benny hill.gif

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while (not since death threats from lurpak about using a dodgy sack of out of date grit).

Anyway, I've taken up decorating, and enjoy it - I'm getting far more enjoyment out of this than the previous job!

I'm having routine issues with plasterer finishes, they tell the client that the decorator will fix problems (poor finishing around sockets/windows, general edging and bumps). I fix them, but at what point/poor finish should I be telling the client they need get the plasterer back to fix their crap? So far every single client doesn't seem to realise how the finish quality should be.
Hope your well @LarryTheLag unfortunately decorators vans now have more easifill in them than paint.

Anyway, I've taken up decorating, and enjoy it -

I'm having routine issues with plasterer finishes, they tell the client that the decorator will fix problems (poor finishing around sockets/windows, general edging and bumps).

Sounds like Lurpy's deliberately doing bad skimming coz he knows you're the decorator following his jobs :coffe:

Hope your well @LarryTheLag unfortunately decorators vans now have more easifill in them than paint.

Almost normal here, all considering at the moment, thankyou for asking!

Is it a case plastering quality is on the decrease now? In one house the ceiling was painful, there wasn't a straight patch, the plasterer then patched bits, didn't bother sanding or feathering in, and told the owner the decorator will sort it. I ended up using the easifill almost everywhere and then got the big sander right over it, God it was bad.

Is it a case plastering quality is on the decrease now? In one house the ceiling was painful, there wasn't a straight patch, the plasterer then patched bits, didn't bother sanding or feathering in, and told the owner the decorator will sort it. I ended up using the easifill almost everywhere and then got the big sander right over it, God it was bad.

Easifil is s**t. Toupret is better. Welcome back

Defo on decrease ..

Nope nothing like that, I don't have a thyroid (on medication), everything genetic is pretty messed up over here

Sorry to hear that.

I only asked about cavities because good dental health relies upon good levels of vitamins A and D, and in order to absorb them well, you need to be digesting fats/oils well, because A and D are fat-soluble vitamins. As I'm sure you know, this also has some influence on skin health and on immune function (immune function also influences skin health, as some skin issues have an inflammatory aspect).

Since you mentioned thyroid, I'm sure you know very well that skin issues such as psoriasis and eczema can be associated with hypothyroid conditions.

Another thing I've often noticed, with interest, is that skin conditions sometimes respond positively to increased dietary zinc intake, and it just so happens that zinc (and iodine and selenium) are very important for the healthy functioning of.... the endocrine system. And the thyroid just happens to be part of the endocrine system.

Sorry to hear that.

I only asked about cavities because good dental health relies upon good levels of vitamins A and D, and in order to absorb them well, you need to be digesting fats/oils well, because A and D are fat-soluble vitamins. As I'm sure you know, this also has some influence on skin health and on immune function (immune function also influences skin health, as some skin issues have an inflammatory aspect).

Since you mentioned thyroid, I'm sure you know very well that skin issues such as psoriasis and eczema can be associated with hypothyroid conditions.

Another thing I've often noticed, with interest, is that skin conditions sometimes respond positively to increased dietary zinc intake, and it just so happens that zinc (and iodine and selenium) are very important for the healthy functioning of.... the endocrine system. And the thyroid just happens to be part of the endocrine system.
I tried

Sorry to hear that.

I’m in
What is a good source of zinc?

Sorry to hear that.

Impressed you know about hypo! I'm on a mix of T3 & T4, when I couldn't take the tablets it was horrible - lost all my hair, mentally drained, foggy thinking, slurring words and put on a lot of weight. Within a week of going back on the tablets, all good again (and hair started to grow back). The NHS only give out T4, but too many people can't convert it to T3, NHS don't give out T3 because it's not on the nice register (too expensive) so I have mine imported from the US

I didn't know about zinc, I'm a veggie and will increase my green leaves - thankyou for that! I'm also started on green tea, I'm not doing it right as it tastes revolting

I’m in
What is a good source of zinc?

Honestly, I'm not generally keen on supplements for nutrients that can be found easily enough from the right foods, but zinc is one of those nutrients (like magnesium) that is hard to get enough of, even with a decent diet.

This is partly because of modern farming methods stripping the soil of trace elements/minerals.

Some nuts and seeds contain a reasonable amount of zinc, but the downside is they're also very high in copper, and copper competes with zinc for absorption in the body.

Oysters are a good source of zinc, and shellfish in geenral tend to contain good amounts of selenium and iodine, but they shouldn't be eaten too frequently because modern pollutants tend to accumulate in seafood.

To supplement zinc, Solgar zinc picolinate is a fairly good option (I use it myself).

I didn't know about zinc, I'm a veggie and will increase my green leaves - thankyou for that! I'm also started on green tea, I'm not doing it right as it tastes revolting

Sounds like you've had a rough ride, but I'm pleased to hear you're back on-track (up to a point).

Green tea is supposed to taste bitter.

The Chinese are very particular that green tea should be consumed quite regularly in the diet because (generally-speaking) bitter foods are not as common as the other flavours. Bitter foods help stimulate the liver.

Personally, I like the bitter taste of green tea.

However, it's not wise to drink umpteen cups a day because the tannins in tea can inhibit absorption of some other dietary nutrients (such as iron).

One other important point about green tea : Always go for organic green tea (available in some of the major supermarkets, depending on branch. Look for Clipper brand green tea, but be careful - they do an organic one and a non-organic one. You have to read the box very carefully, and some branches only do the non-organic). It's important because camellia sinensis (tea plant) has a habit of absorbing flouride. Many pesticides contain flouride.

Unlike iodine, flouride is not good for the human endocrine system.

Something else to bear in mind is that a strict vegetarian diet can tend to be rather high in copper, because beans and pulses (commonly used instead of meat) are high in copper. Remember, copper competes with zinc for absorption in the body.

Last edited: