Plastering Disaste!!r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fozzy279

Hello All...

I'm new to this forum and to plastering - I'm only a "DIY-er" but have done a fair bit with reasonable success until now...

I had an old plaster wall that finished by running a thick brush through it then was painted with a shiny paint. I wanted to skim over the whole lot to make it smooth, so I applied neat PVA to the wall, then before it was dry I put on a skim coat of Thistle multifinish. Before this went off, I put on another 1 to 2 mm coat to finish. It looked not half bad (for me!!).

Anyway, two days later, I went to inspect and the whole of the second coat has literally peeled off - cracked & curved away from the wall. The first coat is fine and has dried out without cracking or losing adhesion to the original wall. What on earth would have caused this?

The first coat was not completely dry or "off" before I put on the second coat, "wet" enough to take the second coat, but not so dry it got pulled off by applying a second coat.

The only thing I can think off is that the bag of plaster I used for the second coat was a bit out of date? My neighbour says you get something called "bag set" where even though the plaster is powdery and mixes OK, it has in fact gone off. Would this have caused it?

Regards...

Ray

was the first coat done with another bag and was that still in date?av skimmed small areas with out of date plaster before n it didnt peel off .a wud just buy a new bag of plaster pva the wall 3-1 two coats n put another two coats of plaster on you cud just put 1 coat on but a wud personally do 2

with what your talking about I cant see that the date would have an effect.
It would just have gone off real quick and you'd have known when you put it on.
Also I can't think (if the first coat hadn't dried out) why the seond wouldn't have bonded to it.
For future though get some wickes bonding agent for reskims not pva. Its mch more straight forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.