Plastering ceilings

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper

Private Member
After years of doing ceilings off stepps & hop ups my old body is feeling the strain. All my work is domestic so most of the ceilings i do are fairly low. Is it really any easier faffing about with crates and scaff boards? Setting it up has to be pain in the arse. I don't fancy stilts so any tips would be helpful. Cheers.

I'm domestics only too Casper and I use crates and planks on most of my ceilings - depends on the size really. I have about a dozen 13 footers and about 30 or 40 planks @ 8ft or less, which is enough for me. Biggest drawbacks might be having a storage area for your planks and a slightly longer day with setting up in the morning and dismantling at the end plus loading up/emptying van. Crates are getting harder to come by as well.............and you might mark the precious Transit bunging them on the roof rack:RpS_thumbup:

Hi mate im mainly domestic as well and i always used to use planks and crates. The problem i always had is that im in a partnership and we normaly work together which would be fine except im 6"5 and my mate is 5"8 ! So the planks were normaly slightly too high for me and too low for him. This was the happy medium! At the time it was all i was used too but it ment late days if you had three hits of ceilings to do in a day.
Also it hurts like hell when you miss the next plank and graze the s**t out of your shin on it as u fall!
I never fancied stilts but i tried them and will never go back. They are well easy to get used to, and saves a lot of space/weight in your van over the planks.

After years of doing ceilings off stepps & hop ups my old body is feeling the strain. All my work is domestic so most of the ceilings i do are fairly low. Is it really any easier faffing about with crates and scaff boards? Setting it up has to be pain in the arse. I don't fancy stilts so any tips would be helpful. Cheers.
your body is feeling the strain ur only 33 u have a long way to go yet if u can learn the stilts there great i am useing them 20 years now nothing to do in the morning but put them on and away u go i have got a lot off work over the years because i had them doing a lid in morning because i have them for a fellow spread because he cant be arsed with scaf as its a big lid other than that grow wings is my best tip

Might have to try stilts. BUT i always work out of a gorilla tub so i don't know how that would work.

If your a marster plarsterer & can work simultaneously with 2 floats you should be able to work off a pair off steps :RpS_thumbup:

Well John stop turning up pissed up on ceiling jobs and you will be fine Lol Seriously though ime working on some kind of scaff that works of compressed air bouncy castle type of thing, who knows

Gets some stilts mate you'll never look back, well apart from when you trip up & fall backwards :RpS_thumbsup:

**** planking out and all that, unless it's a big ceiling..........I just use my hop up..

Got a 40m2 artex ceiling on the other day just off my hop up...Was well pleased with it after.

Always strugle what to charge with these big ceilings though, cause no matter what it's only a days work, if that!.. yet it's a hard days work so it's worth more!

If it looks like a 2 man job double yer money:RpS_thumbup:

Biggest ceiling I done I hired sixty 13ft planks and rolled it out on my own. I charged £550 for it with gear but never measured it so I don't know how many metres, but it was donkey work. Great satisfaction though just to know I done it by myself:RpS_thumbup:

I used a bed the other day. it was a massive bed & they'd put one half on top of the other half, just chucked a sheet over it, great hop up :RpS_thumbup:

Dura stilts make a quick bench, I've have had one for going on 12 years, very seldom do I use stilts anymore, stilts aint good for your back. Bench is expensive but well worth it.

Done a ceiling last tuesday and was roughly 40m2 and about 3m high, i have a lightweight tower that i used i split it into four sectons and connected up with a few batons, nearly killed me!

Biggest ceiling I done I hired sixty 13ft planks and rolled it out on my own. I charged £550 for it with gear but never measured it so I don't know how many metres, but it was donkey work. Great satisfaction though just to know I done it by myself:RpS_thumbup:

Yeah, same here mate felt well chuffed after....neck was ****** though after...I done all the artex ceilings in this chaps house, now his mother wants her front room ceiling doing after seeing his, her's is bigger again by about 5 m2s and more awkward, was going to do on my own, but she doesn't want to dec the walls after so will have to mask them incase drop anything, and she's just had really expensive carpert so will have to get that carpert protector stuff, and a labouer for the day...yet she thinks £250 is to expensive for a day and that's just a rough quote i said!....Joker!

dick turpin is still alive and well i see

Not long back from doing a Double bedroom reskim. Celing and walls. First hit was the ceiling, which had stipple tex, and the two end walls. Then a liesurely second set for the two main walls. All done off the hop up. I'd like to know how many times i jump on and off it. It must be keeping me fit lol

i did a domestic lid the other day, bout 15-20m with sheets etc. i just got a couple of boards and 3 tressles and they spanned the length of the room. so i could do a whole side at a time, and then walk through the middle. much bigger than that i would share on domestic. on site i would be on stilts

depends on ceiling height m8 higher ceilings I always deck out...strething is what f**ks your back up

time youve decked it out you can have a coat on and flattened off... im not a big fan of stilts but seriously, for tall ceilings theyre the way, the foldy up ladders work too but hard work...
then you gotta strike yer deckin after.... time youve f'cked around youre lookin at best part of a set...
i wish you could hire stilts... im loathe to buy any for the sake of the odd psyco ceiling...

Status
Not open for further replies.