plastering a wall with a bulge

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillips900

Hello

I'm new here so please take it easy on me :RpS_biggrin:
I've recently bought a house and am in the process of decorating. The one problem I have is that a light switch has been moved and re filled with filler ( this was done by the previous owner) and the wall is no where near flat. There is a bulge right in the middle of the wall. I've been doing a bit of research and I think it would be too much of a bulge to loose with just 2 coats of multi finish. I would like to try my hand a plastering but I'm in need of some advise. Where would be the best place to start. The walls are breeze block with about 10mm of what I think is bonding coat and then a couple mm of skim. Can I add a coat of bonding to level and then skim over the top of this after its dried? Do I need to pva what is there already or will the bonding coat stick to old plaster?

Cheers

Some of the lads will be asking for pics of your bulge any second hahahaha...i'm crying laughing.

It depends on how big your bulge is.

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you hack off the bulge. If you have left a deep hole then wet the background and level off with bonding. Start PVA-ing your wall in the meantime. When the bonding begins to pull in, apply your last coat of PVA and wait for it to go tacky. Key the bonding and skim away.

If you managed to hack the bulge off almost level, simply PVA and skim. Good luck :)

Plastering with a bulge is always a nightmare:

•Knock yer tea off the spot board when you turn round :-0
•lines wiped in skim at waist height :-(
•customer might see it :RpS_scared:
etc.....

My advice is beat one off in the morning :RpS_thumbsup:

Plastering with a bulge is always a nightmare:

•Knock yer tea off the spot board when you turn round :-0
•lines wiped in skim at waist height :-(
•customer might see it :RpS_scared:
etc.....
My advice is beat one off in the morning :RpS_thumbsup:

Haha got a laugh out of me that mate...good un.

Ok well I gave it a go!!! It's one hell of a lot harder than I expected. I think I had a few problems. 1 my first mix was 2dry and 2 I don't seem to be putting it on thick enough. Can I let what's up there dry and have another bash or call in the professionals?

Ok well I gave it a go!!! It's one hell of a lot harder than I expected. I think I had a few problems. 1 my first mix was 2dry and 2 I don't seem to be putting it on thick enough. Can I let what's up there dry and have another bash or call in the professionals?

Skimming is the art of trowel control. Call in the pro's :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.