Plastering a concrete ceiling- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

conway

Hi there,
can anyone - please advise

working in an old 1920s art deco building
distemper on the ceiling- so stripped flaking paint and washed off distemper to prep

ceiling is concrete slabs under old lime plaster
can i just reskim with multi plaster, using pva to stick

please advise further if need to do more to prep

i am assuming i dont need to use a bonding coat
is this correct

many thanks
jay

yeah
skim with multi plaster

do i need to use wicks bonding agent or something aswell?
or will just pva do?

will the concrete be ok with just pva
dont want the concrete to suck up all the moisture
and the plaster crack???

please advise..

no prepped area now- taken/ stripped all distemper and flaking paint off now
just concrete on ceiling now

If its one solid piece of concrete and flat, use BG Bond it and skim with multi finish... if its uneven.. bond it and flatten out with bonding, then skim with multi finish...

thank you for all your replies and advice
i will post some photos of ceiling tomorrow.. to clarify the situation

thanks again
jay

sorry, had another look at ceiling again today
i still need to wash and prep the ceiling again, and remove more of the distemper (which is the chalky lime plaster)
removed most of it the first time, but still more distemper to remove/ wash off

but some/ little of the lime plaster has fallen away, but the majority of the lime plaster is still up and smooth
there is concrete (slabs) i think and a little cracking - under the lime plaster (the lime plaster -which is about 3- 4mm thick)

can i just plaster straight on top of the prepped lime plaster, using pva to stick
or do i need to prep more ?
i will upload some photos tomorrow(if i can upload pics on this thread)/ or if u have email, can email to you

hope a bit clearer now

many thanks
jay

If the lime plaster is loose or perished in places, are you gonna trust that the remainder will be strong enough to support the extra weight of more plaster hanging off it?
I would suggest you get it all off, then scrub the concrete with a stiff brush, prime it with blue grit or betakontakt then apply a tight coat of thistle bonding plaster and then multi finish :RpS_thumbup:

I'd batten it out and board over myself. A spit nailer should fix the battens in good if there is concrete there. Could also plug and screw the battens. Board it and skimm it.

thanks for replies
i pretty sure lime plaster that is up, is not at risk of falling off concrete
if apply another coat of plaster

i dont think putting boards up is the way to go personally, as coving around the edges
i just want to know

i dont want to strip the lime plaster back to the concrete
what do i need to do to prep the lime plaster, so i can skim over the existing lime plaster

or should i just patch the lime plaster up to make smooth, with filla
and then just paint

thanks
jay

2 pics of ceiling/ links below

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/chey/Desktop/2014-04-09%2017.58.30.jpg

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/chey/Desktop/2014-04-09%2017.58.30.jpg

2014-04-09%2017.58.30.jpg

nope just click the pic button (next to the blue planet with the red cross on it) go to basic uploader find your pic and upload it is the easiest way

I'd agree with the batten and board plan but if you are determined to skim straight on use blue grit/WBA or bondit instead of pva.

I'd agree with the batten and board plan but if you are determined to skim straight on use blue grit/WBA or bondit instead of pva.

not possible with the coving.
PVA it, tight coat of bonding, skim with multi-finish job done

also scrim cracks, and if you want to be double sure about no cracking, goin into jewsons and get a bag of fibre strands (not sure of the exact name of this but ask in jewsons)

Is it just standard coving ? If it if just replace it after boarding , by sounds of it a pack and a bag of stocky would do you 35-40 quid not much for the cove plus alot better job it batten and boarded mate , just comes down to how much money they want to spend , as just reskiming may just recrack/fail etc in the near future . Always just a gamble :)

removing coving is not realistic and will add more time to job

so the only other thing i am unsure on...
will the bonding coat stick to the lime plaster

after i will wash the distemper off, do i need to treat the distemper with anything else
if i just use pva and then put bonding coat on
will the bonding coat stick to the lime plaster ok

also - do i need to put bonding coat up
as a bonding coat and multi finish plaster may be too thick
and will go over some of the coving?

how thick should the bonding coat be- if i have to do this?
thanks
jay

forget the bonding (thats to replace the lime if you took it off) use a stabilizing solution first let it dry then pva and skim dont forget to tape your cracks.

Or you can buy a onecoat lime from limegreen

Lime plaster for internal walls – Solo Onecoat Lime Plaster

No one seems to want to do a proper job these days! You get a wall or ceiling that is a pile of shite and get asked what's the best way to remedy it, the best way is given then all of a sudden it's not an option.

I did a ceiling a couple of years ago which had distemper cleaned off. I wanted to overboard but the customer told me to just over skimm. I blu gritted and skimmed the next day and told the customer to not phone me if it fails because I did not have faith in what I was going over.
2weeks go by and the phone goes "the ceiling is coming down!"
He was trying to blame the "blue stuff you used". So I poked up a piece and showed him 3 layers of stuff 1 pink (the plaster) 1blue (blue grit) 1white ( the original artex powder crap whatever it was).
The reply was then "oh perhaps I should have listened to you"?
Too right pal! I told him.
But never mind ay seems everyone knows better than a plasterer!
Rant over.

Status
Not open for further replies.