Plasterers nightmare

Karl1980

Hello lads,
I've been plastering for 18 years. I'm 38. Two years ago I developed tennis elbow and was told by my GP to take a six week break and he prescribed me steroids and anti inflammatorys. At that time it wasn't possible for me to stop working, I had bills that needed paying and a child to provide for so I had no choice but to keep going through the pain. I very rarely go to the doctors and haven't been back since I was diagnosed with tennis elbow two years ago. The pain is not too bad now but there is a loud snapping sound when I bend my wrist back and forth, and recently I've been getting pins and needles in my forearm and hand (trowel hand) and to make things worse I'm starting to notice loss of feeling in my thumb, fingers, and back of hand. I'm just wondering if any of you fellow plasterers out there have experienced the same thing?.
Thanks, Karl.

Never had a elbow problem it's my left wrist and shoulder that bothers me but comes and goes worse some days than others I just put down to s&c rendering as did loads of it especially in my 20s & 30s

Hello lads... I bend my wrist back and forth, and recently I've been getting pins and needles in my forearm and hand (trowel hand) and to make things worse I'm starting to notice loss of feeling in my thumb, fingers, and back of hand. I'm just wondering if any of you fellow plasterers out there have experienced the same thing?.
Thanks, Karl.

Tennis elbow - I had cortisone and a rubber physio bendy thing which cured it pretty quick. Spose it depends how bad it is.
Your other symptoms sound a bit like carpal tunnel syndrome but I aint a quack. Def need to get to get it checked out as it may be tendon imflammation pressing on nerves. It's not the sort of thing that recovers whilst you're still working.
Trowel with the other hand for now, surprising how quickly you can learn opposite hand plastering.

I’m no dr but do know what you’ve described is the tendon ligaments getting worse, to put it bluntly the snapping sound is very bad news , as above dr ASAP and consider other options for plastering , to still earn money maybe airless might help

Sounds like what Scott said to me, carpal tunnel will give loss of feeling and the pins and needles. Doctor time mate, untreated carpal tunnel end up in permenant damage and operations

And yes Danny don't know if it was the bracelet but I could hardly bend my wrist and within a week it was almost back to normal

Ah bud that doesn't sound good! I suffer with tennis elbow but managed it with a little rest (thanks to Ni carrying me for a few weeks when it was bad, she's a good buddy) exercises and using different trowels. Definitely need to get yourself to the docs. Hope you get it sorted. And welcome along

Go private hospital , get it sorted out by the same person you will wait 10 weeks to see on nhs , rest after the injection for as long as you can afford , this worked for me .

Doc asked me if i wanted to get booked on physio today. Told her i.ll pay and see someone next week.
Been to him before. He made few G** joke when asking to take me shirt of. Made me nervous . Was my first time. Started rubbing me back and i thought wow as long as he dont go near me ass he can do that all day

Doc asked me if i wanted to get booked on physio today. Told her i.ll pay and see someone next week.
Been to him before. He made few G** joke when asking to take me shirt of. Made me nervous . Was my first time. Started rubbing me back and i thought wow as long as he dont go near me ass he can do that all day
Yer wee s**t ya!

watched my mentor go through what u described, turned out to be cts just get to docs to be sure nhs or private at least your waiting for somthing to be done rather than nothing and maybe stop permanent damage that could stop earning at least as a skim like the rest no doc but any loss of feelings a red flag. I left a slip disc for years and it nearly stopped me all together not worth leaving things that

My Mrs from her work had it and 4 or 5 people on my site had it coz they didn't monitor havs properly but all of them are able to do there jobs after they had the op just a little less masonry drill so it won't put them back to square one but mixing don't affect it that bad according to them go for it

its stupid the only reason i wont leave where i work is coz its a steady wage and the hours are set in stone still not paid enough for everything else i do roofs, carpentry, labour on urself the list gose on but even if i had to save and or drop it for a while id do it coz it might mean not working at all no money worth ur health but iv been there easyer said than done

its stupid the only reason i wont leave where i work is coz its a steady wage and the hours are set in stone still not paid enough for everything else i do roofs, carpentry, labour on urself the list gose on but even if i had to save and or drop it for a while id do it coz it might mean not working at all no money worth ur health but iv been there easyer said than done

Yep I agree with that

i got to admit when i had that tennis elbow they gave me naproxin and it cleared while working was grate but not always the case for everyone but i switched to using speed skims and spat knifes and everyone gave me gip but on top of speeding everything up and making some craking finnishes it took loads of strain off my sholders rist just made things so easy so if u dont use them at least try them it might help