Plasterboarding ceilings

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

multifinish

Hi Guys - For several years now, I have been plasterboarding ceilings "Shiney side up" as I find the plaster adheres better.

Is this the way you guys do it too?

The reason I ask is that a plonker had a pop at me over it, on site Firday gone.

Thanks,

Multi.

do you mean paper side down? as in the side youre not supposed to be plastering on cos 1) youll have to pva it and 2) the paper has a tendency of de-bonding from the plasterboard as though you were skimming over wallpaper...
plasterboards have 'Plaster other side ONLY' stamped all over the back of em anyway...
theres a good reason for it...the other side is waxed to control suction, and properly bonded to the board

Hi Bigs, Yes mate - That is what i meant.

This was the way I was taught when training and when I brought the subject up of "If it was meant to be fitted that way, then they wouldn't have the 'use other sideup' printed on it" I was told not to worry about that.

Other plasterers do it too. So I have been doing it wrong for several years and it is just just that the many ceilings that I have boarded & Skimmed have not come down or blown etc?! :mad:

Oh Gawd - I shall put them the proper way from now on. :'(

Thank you for your time.

it used to be that way few years back...artex for the grey side, plaster on the paper side...then they changed it..

????????????? did you not think it was odd when it says plaster other side????who taught you this? not a college i hope??

nah mate, i know of a few old timers that have been out of the game for a while to be surprised to see boards shiny side out...usual conversation 'it allways used to be paper for plaster, shiny for artex'...cant remember when they changed it or why, gotta be 8-10 years back though..

went to rip a ceiling down 1 time n the plaster was falling off in massive clumps relised that the old boards were on upside down there was hardly any bond between the plaster n the board am suprised the plaster had stayed on as long as it did

????????????? did you not think it was odd when it says plaster other side????who taught you this? not a college i hope??

This was the way I was taught when training and when I brought the subject up of "If it was meant to be fitted that way, then they wouldn't have the 'use other sideup' printed on it" I was told not to worry about that.

Thanks for the replies Guys - Especially you Bigs.

I was trained at a training private training center - Not through a college. ::)

Most standard plasterboard has one ivory face and one brown. The liner on the ivory face is specially designed for plastering plaster should not be applied to the brown reverse face. Paper liners are generally made from recycled paper a big plus for the environment.

from british gypsum site - 10 things you should know about plasterboard... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.