Plasterboard or skim?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colindickson

Hey there,

I'm new to the plastering world so i'm a bit of a noob!

I recently purchased a old'ish house (1950's build) which is all plastered with lime cement/plaster (not sure of the correct term). In one of the bedrooms we decided to strip the wallpaper and decorate, however when we were using the steamer it was lifting the top layer of plaster skim (again termonology not so accurate). We continued our stripping and left about 4-5 small-medium patches where the top layers has came away.

I have then further removed the skirting boards as they were very old and the gloss paint was flaking. While doing so some of the cement behind the top layer started to crumble away, probably about 2-3m squared worth. On various parts of the walls there's cracks and bumbs etc.

I don't mind speding the money but I want a really good finish and for it to last for a good while.

Now you've heard the background... what do I do???

a) do I remove all the old lime stuff, which is crumbling, to unearth all the green hay looking stuff (i'm guessing this is some sort of insulation on top of the brick work), plaster board ontop of that then skim and paint?

b) Or do I just get someone in to plaster over the top of the old stuff?

c) is there another option?

I would appreciate any help at all... :)

Thanks in advance

Colin

Alright bud:RpS_thumbup:. I would go with option B,get a couple of reputable plasterers. to have a look and advise,quote etc

Alright mate,

Will it get a good hold on the old stuff and not crumble in the future?

i don't mind removing the old stuff and let a plasterer do the rest, I just want to do the best thing.

thanks again

Its very difficult to advise without seeing it tbh,post some pics?where are you?you never know,someone on the forum may be near you and help you out:RpS_thumbup:

Alreet colin Im in Ashington just down the road if you put your number up ill give you a call and come and have a look for you marra..................:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.