Plasterboard Dabs Typical Drying Time

Members online

Deano12345

Im in need of your expertise.

Just over 2 weeks ago our extension was made water tight with the new roof and windows etc. Its only 4m x 4m so not huge and has double doors and 2 large windows and a gable ended window.

The walls are made up of brick outside and breeze block inside with the insulation in between and then the plaster board on that breeze internally.

We have kept the doors open as much as possible and thought after 2 weeks it would all be dry inside. However it seems as though once the doors have been closed for a while, the dabs start to “reappear”. They seem to be getting smaller but im unsure how long it should take for them to completely disappear.

I will attach a photo later on when they “reappear” and post it on here.

Thanks

Im in need of your expertise.

Just over 2 weeks ago our extension was made water tight with the new roof and windows etc. Its only 4m x 4m so not huge and has double doors and 2 large windows and a gable ended window.

The walls are made up of brick outside and breeze block inside with the insulation in between and then the plaster board on that breeze internally.

We have kept the doors open as much as possible and thought after 2 weeks it would all be dry inside. However it seems as though once the doors have been closed for a while, the dabs start to “reappear”. They seem to be getting smaller but im unsure how long it should take for them to completely disappear.

I will attach a photo later on when they “reappear” and post it on here.

Thanks
[/QUOTE
You any heating on

Just managed to replace the radiator so yes but it’s only on for a couple of hours a day.

What i find strange is that they disappear within 10 minutes of opening the double doors but then within a couple of hours of closing the doors, they reappear.

The first picture was taken this morning before the doors were opened.

The second picture is within a few minutes of opening the doors and they have started to fade.

CCB70168-68D3-4951-9F31-8CEC22DB9E00.jpeg
D922D8B2-7A09-4371-BAEB-53AC141AF0B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I could be wrong but think this is actually moisture in the blockwork still drying out across the dabs. They get rain on them during construction, absorbs into the block and takes quite a time to dry out once covered over. I hit this quite often when coring new walls for air vents, if you put your hand in you can feel the damp on the blockwork.

You a
I could be wrong but think this is actually moisture in the blockwork still drying out across the dabs. They get rain on them during construction, absorbs into the block and takes quite a time to dry out once covered over. I hit this quite often when coring new walls for air vents, if you put your hand in you can feel the damp on the blockwork.
Lllway get damp in cavity . Bricks aint water proof

I agree with you, blocks got piss wet through/ cavity insulation wet or damp.
Will take an age to dry out completely.
That’s the most likely cause.
Not much you can do apart from get the heating on and crack a couple of windows open in this weather.