plasterboard ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey07

i have just boarded a big ceiling today chaps and wont be able to skim it all in one shot,i will have to split it and do it in two shots,how do you other guys do it???i dont like doing it really but its well managable in two shots....cheers lads....

if you absolutely HAVE to. skim half of it. after the first trowel i get a straight edge and run the corner of the trowel along it and scrape back the excess. gives you a nice neat line to work to. then skim the other side straight away if you can so its easier to blend. or you could try a rolling gauge?

i dont blend it, f**k knows if it cracks mate ;D. i've only ever had to do it twice on a huge landing wall. and had no come backs

steve cov said:
if you absolutely HAVE to. skim half of it. after the first trowel i get a straight edge and run the corner of the trowel along it and scrape back the excess. gives you a nice neat line to work to. then skim the other side straight away if you can so its easier to blend. or you could try a rolling gauge?
cov.....should i run some scrim half way along the room first to split it in half? then skim halfway onto the scrim tape then run a trowel along it?

yeah i do bruce. oh i also did it on my kitchen ceiling and that was 3/4 years ago and its not cracked. i think its helped by the fact i did the other side straight after. you can mickey. but i find when i go over a scrim when scraping back that i rip the s**t out of the scrim.

I spent the majority of my apprenticeship doing ceilings of 80yards sq and 16 to 18" up working off trestles with hit and miss boards. We always cut back the skimming in a wazy line and scraped it off to give us a nice edge to work to. We worked the new bit to about 50mm away from the what we had done before and just as the new was setting we worked up to the one we had done before and always kept are edge clean. The old spread always said that if it goes on to whatever you have just done it was proud and therefore you would see it. Got to say it worked for us and the joints could not be seen.

bang half on then mix enough on your second mix to lay it down and first coat the other half then mix a bit to lay the second half down with trowel up the same way it will go off gradually in stages

PVA a line of bog roll over the join and tell the customer its the latest thing, tell them you saw it on one of them "tw@t up you house" prgrams

nelly said:
PVA a line of bog roll over the join and tell the customer its the latest thing, tell them you saw it on one of them "tw@t up you house" prgrams

your one of the few people i believe when you say you hate your job haha

i actually think he hates it. and maybe he hates it that much hes inventing tools so he has to do LESS work?!

steve cov said:
i actually think he hates it. and maybe he hates it that much hes inventing tools so he has to do LESS work?!
Your on the right lines actually.

I do hate plastering, I f*ckin despise it in fact, we literally stare at 4 walls all day long, its like being in prison but harder work.

The tool(s) I have come up with let you achieve the final product easier and quicker.

We as humans allways want to take the path of least resistance, no matter where you go if you have a corner in a street that has a grass verge there is allways a track where people walked over the grass rather than walk around.

I think I shall come up with a name for them.

I once emaild the oxford dictionary to have a word put in "drownding" the act of deliberately splashing someone with a puddle in your car

They told me to f*ck off :)

i call that rinsing, and its best when you get a fit bird because they dont expect it.
its crap when you have to stop at a red light though :eek:

kirk johnstone said:
i call that rinsing, and its best when you get a fit bird because they dont expect it.
its crap when you have to stop at a red light though :eek:

oopsie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.