Plaster work leading to non related jobs?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrspoon

i did d+d+skimmed+tiled floor of an extension a while back (october time) and they mentioned they wanted their kitchen and bathroo ceilings skimming as they have foam square tiles up there still, they said they'd leave it till after the new year due to other work being carried out etc, but anyway i popped round for a chat to see how everything was going with the work carried out by me and what they had planned which i helped advice etc. mentioned the work they wanted me to do and thats booked in now for 4 weels time and while i was there i got offered some cash to wash their 2 birth caravan top to bottom, so i did! lovely sunny day, sun beaming and an easy job and they require their large wooden garage to be painted soon also which ofcourse they want me yo do.

anyone else gone to quote for some plastering and ended up getting a completely different line of work? or just generally picked up more through plastering but nothing to do with the trade?

come to think of it ive repainted a bungalow and someone wants me to repaint her 3 bed semi, yet ive never mentioned a thing about exterior painting... still the works there ??? musn't grumble :)

LOL!!
mate, ive been to swap a few door liners and ended up fitting and tiling the kitchen, swapping the bath suite, tiling that, same for en suite, all the joinery but no plastering!!
ive been to screed a conny floor and ended up skimming the entire bungalow and building inglenook fireplace, then she decides shes a property developer and i did three properties on the bounce..
feckin wish i had some more of that at the minute i can tell u..

Did a lot of work for one customer about 4 yrs ago,rang me last year to do some more work for him asked if i was busy which i wasnt sent me on a plane to spain same day to collect a signature off a client the next day booked me in a hotel overnight all expenses paid.[i kid you not] well chuffed with that one. 8)

haha nice 1, never expected to come across other random jobs through plastering, must admit i enjoy the change, feel daft when theres a constant stream of various tradesmens vans passing by and theres me with my van on the driveway with plastering and tiling slapped in big letters across the side and there i am up a platform ladder washing green funkyness off a caravan :D ah well 8)

ive been puttin me cards in all the letting agencies round my way recently, asking them if they ve got a property maintenance division, and i ve had phone calls 4 garden maintenance, odd bit of tiling,everythin, end ov the day u got 2 take what u can get in the current climate.

what sort of mix would u use to repoint a patio area or grout whatever u wanna call it. Been asked by a customer if i can rake out the old stuff and and put fresh stuff in.

bigsegs said:
5 or 6 mate dry as fook..
Ive already raked out the old mortar and it was sandy as fook, i was thinkin more of 4:1 so it set real hard, she just does'nt want the same problem a few years down the line.( it was only done bout three years ago)

4 will do mate, its just that i usually go a bit weaker on this kind of job cos patios tend to get a lot of heat in the summer and slabs/flags can move about a little bit.. does depend what theyre laid on as well i sppose..
if it was that sandy id guess it was way too weak.... you know the type.. 5 hoiking great shovels of wet sand and a poxy little shovel of cement..
bloke i used to work with years ago used a 6:1 stiff concrete to lay on and a 6 to point up with..
ive heard of some people using waterproofer in it.. dunno if thats a good idea though..

stone effect might give you a more technically precise answer though.. im no expert on patios, i just do what ive done before..

Status
Not open for further replies.