Plaster type and best products

Members online

HLM

Hello,

First time here and some of these threads have been very helpful so I am hoping someone could help me with the type of plaster on these walls. My new house seems to have a concoction of different surfaces underneath the millions layers of wallpaper and I’m unsure on what type of plaster this is. I am hoping to plaster over both of the pictured walls but want to ensure I am using the correct products. If anyone has any advice on this and could recommend the best type of plaster to use I would be very grateful

Attachments

• 0EFF8B84-6AC8-4B2D-8EBD-DD12FEE49B12.jpeg
    0EFF8B84-6AC8-4B2D-8EBD-DD12FEE49B12.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 126
  • ACCBCDED-405C-4344-8A1D-3B88627597DD.jpeg
    ACCBCDED-405C-4344-8A1D-3B88627597DD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
Your not sure what the existing plaster is on the walls,your not sure what plastering products you need but you want to plaster the walls, get a professional in tight arse

I'm always wary of diagnosing based on photos, as nothing beats actually being there and seeing (and touching) in person.

However, I suspect what you have there is old lime plaster onto wooden laths, and more modern gypsum skim on top of it.

One major problem with old lath and lime plaster is that, over the course of many decades, it gradually 'blows' (delaminates). If you gently rap your knuckles at various locations on the wall, you can hear regions where there is a dull thud and regions where there is a hollow sound. Where it sounds hollow (which may be almost the entire wall), it indicates that the old lime plaster is probably blown.

There is always the temptation to simply overskim such walls with modern gypsum (multi skim) plaster, and, yes, you may 'get away with it', but it's a bad idea to overskim blown plaster because you may get hairline cracks appearing after a while, aside from which who really wants structurally unsound plaster on their wall(s)?

Tread carefully. Multi-skim plaster is capable of sticking to such a wall, provided you prepare the surface correctly, beforehand, but even then, you're only delaying the inevitable if you try to skim over a wall full of old blown plaster.

I suggest you get a professional plasterer to advise you on the state of the walls and to take the appropriate course of action for you (e.g, hack it all off, if the existing plaster is blown, then float & set or dot & dab, followed by gypsum board/multi plaster).

You've been warned!

I think it's make good! So you need to go out and buy some make good finishing plaster! It's definitely great to use you will love it! That's MAKE GOOD!!

I think you’ve ghosts in your house and pagan sacrifices in your basement..do you live Enfield???..mark of the devil on your walls..or..just s**t,but..
Don’t do it up..sell it and be gone ‍♂️