Plaster peaking on metal frame stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggle to understand how your held responsible when all you've done is skim it. Looks like you've been made a scapegoat

Get yourself a Qs who will put in a claim for any extra costs incurred in rectifying the problems quite often its an open cheque for you, with by the sound of it the fixers picking up the contra charge. A good Qs not only looks professional but will make you money.

this is not your fault,, its the fault of the fixers as already mentioned by others, so you should not be out of pocket,, i would want paying for any re skimming you have done so far and for the rest you still have to do,, why should you loss money when the job was ****** up by the fixers,, they are not saying your work is sub-standard so tell them to counter charge the fixers,, good luck at the next meeting

If they need any decent fixers me and my son will be back in uk on monday , and will be on the look out for any aspect of Drylining work , willing to travel as long as theres some where to kip , I need the money I want to retire by the time Im 85 years old :RpS_thumbsup:

Hi guys,

apologies if this topic has already been posted. I and 3 of my lads have recently skimmed 600sqm of plasterboard walls on a site in Glasgow. A week after i finished I was called back. 70-80% of the walls have all peaked on the joints. All framing is metal stud, there are little to no peaks at the top or bottom of the joints, from 500mm onwards from top to bottom getting worse in the centre, has anyone ever seen this ?
Hi mate not been on for a while, to busy not read the whole thread but if the fixers have not reversed the studs from the starter against the wall it will kink the boards.

Hi chaps, meeting went well. On the walk around the client he pulled a perticular wall, the said wall shook upto 100mm when pressed on with my hand. Knauf have done a report on the construction of all the metal framing and have pulled it to bits due to a number of reasons, 1 due to no bracing straps at the tops of the 3m boards (frame goes to slab height of roughly 4.5m) list goes on. I also got a straight edge on all joints and highlighted that all effected joints bow in the middle, all this was done in front of the company who I am subbying to's site supervisor. Client agreed with what I was saying, site supervisor pulled me up after the meeting saying I didn't need to highlight all those issues which I understand from they're perspective but when someone's pulling my work I want them to know why it is like that. Was I in the wrong ??

Anyways it is now down to another meeting between me the contracts manager and the fixers to decide who pays for me to rectify the work. I reskimmed a few more walls today, whilst the issues are becoming less noticeable the problem of bowed joists still exists. It's cost me £800 to rectify 50%, I've done this out of good will in order to keep customer happy as they throw work my way. I'm not in a position to do the other 50% for free so it's going to be a fun meeting.

I will ill have to be excused for not assessing the walls thoroughly, new to the management side of the trade, valuable lesson learnt.

Thanks for for the support guys

Did you not notice the wall shacking when skimming mate?

This may sound like a very amateur question guys but can you all advise me on how many of you prep your walls by skimming your joints first letting it go firm but not set, then start plastering your walls ?

Hi mate, what do you mean by reversed the suds from the starter ?
For instance first stud is fixed to existing wall flat bit against wall open end facing out so if you are going to start boarding from this corner the following studs go open end facing existing wall

Hi guys,

apologies if this topic has already been posted. I and 3 of my lads have recently skimmed 600sqm of plasterboard walls on a site in Glasgow. A week after i finished I was called back. 70-80% of the walls have all peaked on the joints. All framing is metal stud, there are little to no peaks at the top or bottom of the joints, from 500mm onwards from top to bottom getting worse in the centre, has anyone ever seen this ?

Has the finish, including tape or scrim, come away from the board? Has the paper surface of the board come away from the plaster filling within?

'Peaking'? I'm trying to understand that term.

We once skimmed a bad batch of boards that had bubbles under the p/board paper. We didn't notice them, the painters saw them.

We never knew why it happened, just a load of boards that had air bubbles up both the edges. Where they mis-stored or a manufacturing error? We never found out.

If the metal frame is 4.5m high, andd moves 100mm in the middle if pushed, that's the wall flexing, no? But why would that be called 'peaking'?

Status
Not open for further replies.