Plaster peaking on metal frame stud

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewbuckley

Hi guys,

apologies if this topic has already been posted. I and 3 of my lads have recently skimmed 600sqm of plasterboard walls on a site in Glasgow. A week after i finished I was called back. 70-80% of the walls have all peaked on the joints. All framing is metal stud, there are little to no peaks at the top or bottom of the joints, from 500mm onwards from top to bottom getting worse in the centre, has anyone ever seen this ?

Iv sanded some, Iv re skimmed 30% of the worst ones today, inspection with client in the morning. It's being put on my toes, must be due to something. 60 years experience between the 4 of us and we've never experienced it before so it's not down to being applied wrong. Mind boggling.....

This is a common problem especially where boards aren't staggered correctly, even over new stud work. When skimming, best to cover horizontal joints (£50 bet they're the ones you're seeing ) with a horizontal swipe and then.........

Well that's what you don't learn on the course :RpS_thumbup:

Was there a fixing channel fix or any type of noggins , Iv seen when noggins have been fix either too lose or too tight and twist the studs ,which pushs boards askew ( nice word ):glare:

Go over the walls with a long straight edge which will probably highlight the bumps in the partitions then give a price for straightening the walls using bonding and finish. A skim coat does not straighten walls or bumps.

Go over the walls with a long straight edge which will probably highlight the bumps in the partitions then give a price for straightening the walls using bonding and finish. A skim coat does not straighten walls or bumps.

That is the problem right there

i would have thought if the walls were that bad with 4 spreads at least one would have noticed, were the metal studs used single or left boxed together in pairs

Hi chaps, meeting went well. On the walk around the client he pulled a perticular wall, the said wall shook upto 100mm when pressed on with my hand. Knauf have done a report on the construction of all the metal framing and have pulled it to bits due to a number of reasons, 1 due to no bracing straps at the tops of the 3m boards (frame goes to slab height of roughly 4.5m) list goes on. I also got a straight edge on all joints and highlighted that all effected joints bow in the middle, all this was done in front of the company who I am subbying to's site supervisor. Client agreed with what I was saying, site supervisor pulled me up after the meeting saying I didn't need to highlight all those issues which I understand from they're perspective but when someone's pulling my work I want them to know why it is like that. Was I in the wrong ??

Anyways it is now down to another meeting between me the contracts manager and the fixers to decide who pays for me to rectify the work. I reskimmed a few more walls today, whilst the issues are becoming less noticeable the problem of bowed joists still exists. It's cost me £800 to rectify 50%, I've done this out of good will in order to keep customer happy as they throw work my way. I'm not in a position to do the other 50% for free so it's going to be a fun meeting.

I will ill have to be excused for not assessing the walls thoroughly, new to the management side of the trade, valuable lesson learnt.

Thanks for for the support guys

Hi chaps, meeting went well. On the walk around the client he pulled a perticular wall, the said wall shook upto 100mm when pressed on with my hand. Knauf have done a report on the construction of all the metal framing and have pulled it to bits due to a number of reasons, 1 due to no bracing straps at the tops of the 3m boards (frame goes to slab height of roughly 4.5m) list goes on. I also got a straight edge on all joints and highlighted that all effected joints bow in the middle, all this was done in front of the company who I am subbying to's site supervisor. Client agreed with what I was saying, site supervisor pulled me up after the meeting saying I didn't need to highlight all those issues which I understand from they're perspective but when someone's pulling my work I want them to know why it is like that. Was I in the wrong ??

Anyways it is now down to another meeting between me the contracts manager and the fixers to decide who pays for me to rectify the work. I reskimmed a few more walls today, whilst the issues are becoming less noticeable the problem of bowed joists still exists. It's cost me £800 to rectify 50%, I've done this out of good will in order to keep customer happy as they throw work my way. I'm not in a position to do the other 50% for free so it's going to be a fun meeting.

I will ill have to be excused for not assessing the walls thoroughly, new to the management side of the trade, valuable lesson learnt.

Thanks for for the support guys

Every day's a school day marra at least you know the score for jobs like this in the future :RpS_thumbup:

The walls seemed bang on when we where skimming, our finish was smooth and flat, even walls we did on the Monday where fine on the Friday, 10 days later I was called back.

Status
Not open for further replies.