Plaster patch over lathe ceiling

Members online

Seabream95

Hi everyone so i have a hole in my ceiling that has lathes behind it the rest of the ceiling is sound the hole is roughly 0.5m square area the problem I have is the thickness of existing plaster is around 17mm so if I was to put a patch of plasterboard in and screw to joists and lathes I'd have to make up the remaining 4.5mm in plaster my thought was maybe I could mix up some wetish dot and dab and press onto ceiling so it squeezes behind lathes use the screw to hold in place wate for it to harden then tighten screws then plaster as normal would this be OK.

Pva around the edge. Lash it on 2 coats. Blob well around the edge so old plaster is solid all around.
Then dot and dab board with a few screws just to hold until set to pack out.
Few more screws.
Pva around edge
Plaster level with ceiling

Tired Oh No GIF by Liverpool FC

Thanks for the advice guys I did think of just screwing the board to joist then bonding out then plaster on top but didn't know if there was like a minimum thickness for the bonding as it would only be like 2mm thick I think Ime guna go down the dot and dab root pack it out 1 or 2 mil shy of existing ceiling hold in place with screws then when gone off tighten and add more screws and then plaster it and blend with existing ceiling

Hi everyone so i have a hole in my ceiling that has lathes behind it the rest of the ceiling is sound the hole is roughly 0.5m square area the problem I have is the thickness of existing plaster is around 17mm so if I was to put a patch of plasterboard in and screw to joists and lathes I'd have to make up the remaining 4.5mm in plaster my thought was maybe I could mix up some wetish dot and dab and press onto ceiling so it squeezes behind lathes use the screw to hold in place wate for it to harden then tighten screws then plaster as normal would this be OK.
The rest is never solid. Accident waiting to happen. Just overboard and skim