plaster over plaster??

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootey

hi. im wanting to get my living room plastered but i want to keep down the cost.
the plaster is 'sound', as in not blown in any places, however it is not the smoothest plaster ever. nothing major, just slight dips and bumps where electrics have been covered with diy methods by the looks of it. if i was to paint on pva, could i get a pro in to skim??
thank you in advance for any replies!

Well you could give it a coat or 2 but the last coat needs to be tacky ie not dry when the first coat of skimming goes on. Best bet if you want to do the prep work yourself is to use a bonding agent from such as Wicks, this needs to be dry before plastering for the best result.

Please dont expect the room walls to be plumb, square and perfectly flat, skimming over old walls only flattens the walls out a bit.

Best just to leave everything to the plasterer mate ;)

I know that if i walked into a job, and the custmer told me he had prep'ed the job for me, i would thank him all the same, while i prep the job myself ;D
Plus the bonding agent from hardware stores can be around £40 for a bottle. A tradesman will get a lot of uses out that bottle, you will get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.