Plaster over painted Artex

Croma

Looking for advice how to plaster over a painted Artex wall. I've had a sample analysed which confirmed the Artex contains asbestos (Chrysotile).

It looks as though when the Artex was applied, it was patterned with something like a wallpaper scraper, which has left high (1 to 5 mm) raised lines on the surface. Obviously because of the asbestos, I can't scrape any of the Artex off.

Looking for advice how to plaster over a painted Artex wall. I've had a sample analysed which confirmed the Artex contains asbestos (Chrysotile).

It looks as though when the Artex was applied, it was patterned with something like a wallpaper scraper, which has left high (1 to 5 mm) raised lines on the surface. Obviously because of the asbestos, I can't scrape any of the Artex off.
Bonding in first coat of multi, let it go right off for an hour or so then second skim coat

Thanks for the replies.

I've never used bonding before, and I think getting a flat surface is probably beyond my skill set.
Bond and skim or overboard and skim, pretty much the standard.

I'd be more comfortable boarding it, but are the varying heights of the raised Artex lines likely to be a problem? Because of the raised lines, there will be a lot of hollows behind the boards.
PICT1709.JPG

Thanks for the replies.

I've never used bonding before, and I think getting a flat surface is probably beyond my skill set.

I'd be more comfortable boarding it, but are the varying heights of the raised Artex lines likely to be a problem? Because of the raised lines, there will be a lot of hollows behind the boards.
View attachment 38730
Dot and dab always has alot of hollows behind the board so will make no difference. If you're confident boarding it then I'd go down that route

Get an old plasterer to do it.

Thanks for the replies.

View attachment 38730
D&D would probably be better from a diy perspective. No need to muck about with plaster if you're not skilled in plastering. In fact using plaster could result in a worse situation. Boarding it with feather edge plasterboard and then just tape and fill the joints should give you a decent finish. There's plenty of video's on YouTube on how to dot and dab and you'll get advice on here too.

Seen some like this and a firm comes in and gets the top off back to masonary. Then it's skimmed. House will be tagged as having asbestos now it's been tested which may effect the value so consider options

Thanks again for the replies.

Get an old plasterer to do it.
I'd prefer it to be plastered, but can't get anyone in South East London (SE28) to quote for such a small job (10² M)
Seen some like this and a firm comes in and gets the top off back to masonary. Then it's skimmed. House will be tagged as having asbestos now it's been tested which may effect the value so consider options
Any idea what firm?
All walls in the flat are smooth concrete, so wouldn't need skimming if the Artex was removed.

Wouldn't dot that might not key to paint.
Good point tbf. Just pay a plaster for a day. Bond it in the morning skim in afternoon. Save alot of hassel, get a good job and the room 20mm bigger