plaster mix & damp proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbiem

Can anyone tell me what the standard mix for plaster was 25 years ago. We had our property damp proofed 25 years ago and have many problems over the years. The company now says that the samples of the plaster show that the wrong mix was used. Apparently its 8:1 and should have been 4:1. Does the plaster composition change over time? We have 5 years left on our guarantee but if the plaster is wrong then it becomes invalid. The plasterer has retired so we have no comeback with him. :(

Normally it was 4/1 , these companies are pure charlatans I am afraid, dodgy as can be, every angle to avoid honouring the guarantee. What does the actual wording say? I take it they injected and someone else plastered, I cannot see them honouring this ever ..

How have they tested it? Looks like the damp company is using their get out clause so what are they gonna do about it? And what did you have done and did the damp go but returned?

Even if it was 8-1 (bollox by the way) what odds would it make? Fair enough it would be softer but if they said the proper magic words as they did it I can't see a problem. Don't tell me they never said the magic words?

doubt anyone would mix it at 8-1 , its practically just sand, 6-1 is about the weakest, maybe they had a thick labourer.
Some people mix say 4-1 but bang in 12 then add three but doing it that way you can soon forget how many you have put in and maybe forget to put cement in its easily done lol

Did you get to see any documentation off a separate firm for the tests ? You could look into getting your own test done on it ?

Its been the same type thing but in other rooms. They have taken samples before but never commented on the mix or let us see the results. They have reinjected in two rooms and put a sika coating on one wall. What bit do you want a picture of?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i seen (Danny removed company name) lads inject into blocks that are about 50mm thick , it would t have done anything to help with damp , not on a mortar joint which i had taken pics , was internal walls with these thin blocks that were quite big , one joint was way above skirting other below floor , got there money and ran on that one as the injection was jnto mortar on the rest ie dryzone type stuff which wouldnt have spread through the block from my point of view , from what i have seen (Danny removed company name) is quite decently priced if i can say that on the injecting , well by saying that the rendering work which me and my dad got done in a day was going to be 4 times the price as the injecting .... Do you think they just didnt want to do the rendering and big price to cover when damp comes back for them to fix for them though they want some body else rendering it

Im starting to here (Danny removed company name) name crop up more and more up this way........................:rolleyes)

Aye always have been robbin bastards from what ive heard , years a go my dad got them to survey house he was buying got a few difo problems woodworm etc got price down 5 k for all the work and then showed (Danny removed company name) there wasnt any problem with the timbers etc he wanted the work but instead we got the house cheaper by them making up problems :RpS_thumbsup:

Alot of people trust his reputation and long establishment , really hes robbing people with out them knowing alot of the time

Ask to see the lab results.

This is is a common get out for these firms. They take a small bit of plaster "to send
to the lab" call you 2 weeks later and say it's the wrong mix or sand or waterproofer and bam there home and dry...... Er I mean........ Your left to deal with the problem.

In truth the sample never got back to the office let a long the lab.

Its been the same type thing but in other rooms. They have taken samples before but never commented on the mix or let us see the results. They have reinjected in two rooms and put a sika coating on one wall. What bit do you want a picture of? By the way, the company is (Danny removed company name).

If they have honoured the warranty in other areas ask why this is different. If it was all injected and plastered at the same time can't see the difference.

@debbiem do the external walls of your property have cavities and if so have they been inspected ? also how old is the house ?

Sorry Danny. Didn't mean to cause you problems. :( I think I might contact the lab and see how I go about sending my own samples and the cost of testing. Thanks everyone.

completely understand Danny........................... its for the greater good

The bungalow was built in 1946, and part of the treatment was supposed to be treatment of the cavities. Not sure if it was done as we never had any bricks to put back in, but can't prove they didn't. We used this particular company because it was a national company. We were moving from the mainland to the Isle of Wight and didn't know anything about the local companies. It's been very difficult dealing with them. Each time there has been a problem we have had to pay for a surveyor to come out first and then get the money back when it was accepted as a valid problem. Thankfully this time it was an ongoing problem from last year so we didn't have to pay. Otherwise we would be £110 out of pocket by the look of it.

Defo go have a look down the lab route , would be interesting to see what it actually is :) and hopefully not to dear for the tests

Status
Not open for further replies.