Plaster gone off too quickly.

Members online

Mik3y

Hi guys new to this forum so please don't rip me a new one.
I decided to have a go at plastering a stipple ceiling in my house.
I added bonding plaster to even it out and score which went well.
Left it 18 hours to dry a little as ran out of time. Pva it up using 3-1 then added multifinish.
My multifinish mix went off too quick both in the bucket (overmix I think ) and as I was applying it. I literally lost half a bag of multi and had to save the bucket.
Now I've only got 1 bag of finish left so need to buy another for 2nd coat today and use the other bag to finish the other half of the ceiling.
Can I still save the ceiling and apply 2nd coat later or tomorrow? Do I need to pva the 1st coat up that's currently drying or can I just whack a 2nd coat on in a few hours time.
I'm guessing the heat hasn't helped me much also the pva was drying very quickly can I use it neat or 1-1 to avoid this ? I applied when tacky but dried by the time I got a quarter of the way round.
I used 11.5 litres of water to 1 bag of multi but did overmix for sure. Tips most welcome.

Left it 18 hours to dry a little as ran out of time. Pva it up using 3-1 then added multifinish.
My multifinish mix went off too quick both in the bucket (overmix I think ) and as I was applying it. I literally lost half a bag of multi and had to save the bucket.
Now I've only got 1 bag of finish left so need to buy another for 2nd coat today and use the other bag to finish the other half of the ceiling.
Can I still save the ceiling and apply 2nd coat later or tomorrow? Do I need to pva the 1st coat up that's currently drying or can I just whack a 2nd coat on in a few hours time.
I'm guessing the heat hasn't helped me much also the pva was drying very quickly can I use it neat or 1-1 to avoid this ? I applied when tacky but dried by the time I got a quarter of the way round.
I used 11.5 litres of water to 1 bag of multi but did overmix for sure. Tips most welcome.
Just get a plasterer

you've just over-complicated the shiit out of that pal, get a proper spread in to sort it before it goes tits up again for you.

Your welcome

you've just over-complicated the shiit out of that pal, get a proper spread in to sort it before it goes tits up again for you.

Your welcome
How some people minds work eh Carl.. a spread would have that sheeted up and done,cleaned up in 4 hours max.now this guy is guna waste about a week of his life.mind boggles

@carl-the-plasterer

You dropped a bollock when you bonding coated the ceiling and left it for 18 hours before you even attempted to put finish on it in 30 degree Heat as a novice no wonder it's all gone Pete tong

Plumbers forum

I used 11.5 litres of water to 1 bag of multi but did overmix for sure

the Chrispy house diary has ALL the answers.

Join up

tell your friends

diy and pro accepted

it’s all there for the taking (y)

just $1.99 a day

sweat sweating GIF

I'll get it sorted but thanks for ripping me a new one guys
I'm guessing the bonding is the main reason then. It's not leaving me much time to get the 1st coat on.
Today is alot cooler so going to have another attempt. Worst case senario I'll overboard it then
Reskim but wanted to try.
Anyone got any decent tips other than call a spreader in !

It's all about speed!! Speed is what ya need!!! Pva it again generous coat of it, leave it one hour then put a good coat of multi finish on flatten it, then a second fresh coat and trowel...

I'm guessing the bonding is the main reason then. It's not leaving me much time to get the 1st coat on.
Today is alot cooler so going to have another attempt. Worst case senario I'll overboard it then
You want us to teach you the most difficult trade to be good at over a forum. It's not possible

It's all about speed!! Speed is what ya need!!! Pva it again generous coat of it, leave it one hour then put a good coat of multi finish on flatten it, then a second fresh coat and trowel...
This one piece of advice has helped me massively. Thank you. Speed was all I needed, get it on and flatten it . I finished the job. 2 coats on level and smooth. Cheers Badvok

You want us to teach you the most difficult trade to be good at over a forum. It's not possible
Beggers belief how some people just think there can whack a ceiling on with no experience whatsoever.there think it's like changing a socket plate or something

If you keep trying.g you won't need a hop up to reach to overboard just very long screw

Beggers belief how some people just think there can whack a ceiling on with no experience whatsoever.there think it's like changing a socket plate or something
I have experience in quite a few areas, I'm multi tradesman by profession. Plastering is nothing I have experience with. Overboarding and using joint compound yes so figured I'd try.
I have as you put it just whacked a ceiling up in your terms.
However I'm humble and have nothing but respect for all tradesman especially plasters.
I came to this forum for some pointers and to rectify and learn from my mistakes. You got to start somewhere.

Imagine the state of this ceiling when he's finished

Imagine the state of this ceiling when he's finished
I can yes with the questions that's been asked,wasn't he asking if he should put 2nd coat on a day later.cost would be between £250-£350.imagine going through all that turmoil for sake of the cost and getting it done properly

I have experience in quite a few areas, I'm multi tradesman by profession. Plastering is nothing I have experience with. Overboarding and using joint compound yes so figured I'd try.
However I'm humble and have nothing but respect for all tradesman especially plasters.
I came to this forum for some pointers and to rectify and learn from my mistakes. You got to start somewhere.
Yes but is it worth it really? Put a pic up when you've done it

Fair enough you thought you'd give it a go I suppose, but saying you've got to start somewhere and trying to get a good finish over artex is like saying got to start somewhere and trying to rewire a house.

Glad my finish didn't look anything like this ! I'll post a picture up tomorrow so you bully's can grill me even more lol.
At least if you think it's s**t perhaps one of you tradies can point the error of my ways.
Either way I'm happy with the end finish.
Post it up now,could do with a chuckle before I hit the sack

Glad my finish didn't look anything like this ! I'll post a picture up tomorrow so you bully's can grill me even more lol.
At least if you think it's s**t perhaps one of you tradies can point the error of my ways.
Either way I'm happy with the end finish.
The error of your ways is you aren't a plasterer and can't plaster.
To name a few things that went wrong...
You bonded it out, probably badly and unlevel.
You left bonding for 18 hours.
You applied 1 coat of weak probably cheap pva
Mixed Multi badly
Applied multi too slow
Started panicking
Worried more about bucket than state of ceiling
Probably didn't Pva half Multi half bonding ceiling enough before your 2nd coat a day after your half first coat
Applied 2nd coat too slowly
Troweled up 2nd coat at wrong times, wrong trowel and wrong pressure
Used too much water
f**k*d up.

Hope this helps in future