Plaster coving coming loose

Members online

Therowans

18 months ago we had all our Artex ceilings skimmed and profiled plaster coving installed in our 1930s house. We finished it with a mist coat (50/50 emulsion/water) before painting with white emulsion.

Last week one of the coving lengths came away from the wall/ceiling, and we've had to prop this up and secure with some Frogtape until the plasterer comes back to take a look at it this week. Today I have noticed similar signs in 3 other rooms, with paint lifting and cracks in joints and underneath the coving.

Hopefully this is simply a case of it not being stuck on well enough and I'd think a professional job should have lasted a bit longer than 18 months. I am also worried that if several sides of the coving fails in other rooms it could come down taking some of the ceiling skim with it.

Is this a fitting/adhesion issue or could it be down to something else? Am trying to be prepared for what the company may say. Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 846
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 579
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 528
be interest to know what adhesive they used bagged or caulked any ideas did you see them mixing adhesive up?

Might be down to poor key from not scoring background and/or coving. Might be able to remedy with 50mm drywall screws countersunk through the coving and caulk edges (or take it down)

Get them to agree to fix it or pay the bill for a professional to fix it
Well try that but,... really you want a professional to do it and if you care about your home (who doesn’t) just forget them muppets and pay again probably

18 months ago we had all our Artex ceilings skimmed and profiled plaster coving installed in our 1930s house. We finished it with a mist coat (50/50 emulsion/water) before painting with white emulsion.

Last week one of the coving lengths came away from the wall/ceiling, and we've had to prop this up and secure with some Frogtape until the plasterer comes back to take a look at it this week. Today I have noticed similar signs in 3 other rooms, with paint lifting and cracks in joints and underneath the coving.

Hopefully this is simply a case of it not being stuck on well enough and I'd think a professional job should have lasted a bit longer than 18 months. I am also worried that if several sides of the coving fails in other rooms it could come down taking some of the ceiling skim with it.

Is this a fitting/adhesion issue or could it be down to something else? Am trying to be prepared for what the company may say. Pics below.
Did you mist coat before the coving went up?

Not always a good idea to bond/ skim with foot traffic above

i think that the area to lay the adhesive on in gyproc cornice is to small. poor design.
it could be several reasons why it has failed. no key on the plaster, adhesive drying to quickly if fitted direct to fresh plaster, the adhesive goes into a crumble. plaster needed a lick of pva.

i think that the area to lay the adhesive on in gyproc cornice is to small. poor design.
it could be several reasons why it has failed. no key on the plaster, adhesive drying to quickly if fitted direct to fresh plaster, the adhesive goes into a crumble. plaster needed a lick of pva.
I have always said that I usually sink a few screws on that stuff