Plaster Coat on Cement Parge (1st Timer)

Tony101

Hi All,

I recently bought an older house with plaster used on every interior wall.
I am pealing damaged anaglypta off the interior side of an exterior masonry wall. The anaglypta is coming off, but a 3-5 millimeter layer of plaster is coming off with it. This is revealing what appears to be an old, porous cement parge that is applied to the interior side of the masonry.

I am a complete newbie and have never plastered before, but I'm interested in learning. I'd like to try repairing the section of wall with a plaster coat so it can be painted. The section is only about 120cm x 120cm, so I'm hoping it won't be too big of a burden to learn how to plaster on.

My problem is that I am finding conflicting information like using PVA + 1 coat bonding, PVA + 2 coat multipurpose, only needing 1 coat bonding, etc, etc..

My question to the forum is what steps should I take and what kind of plaster(s) should be used to coat this section of the wall?

It's a bit of a unique situation (as far as google is concerned) and I am only finding generic information/ articles. Any help and insight you guys can provide would be hugely appreciated.

Welcome along Tony
Honestly after reading that;
The best way for you to have a decent wall in the end to paint is just hire a spred and let him or her get on with it

Welcome along Tony
Honestly after reading that;
The best way for you to have a decent wall in the end to paint is just hire a spred and let him or her get on with it
I've definitely been considering that, but I'd still like to know what would be involved if I were to do the job.

Send some pics of the wall in question
Here's a couple pics of the area in question.
The cement isn't as porous as I thought it was.

Attachments

• IMG-1199.jpg
    IMG-1199.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG-1200.jpg
    IMG-1200.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
Here's a couple pics of the area in question.
The cement isn't as porous as I thought it was.
Just have a go at it, what’s the worst that can happen and don’t forget to post pictures of the finished job (y)