Planning permission

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

user__removed

Private Member
When does it become applicable for planning permission to render a property that was not rendered to start with, or does it never apply, have asked loads of people no-one is ever sure.

planning permission is nothing to do with plastering. you might need permission to alter the appearance of a listed building or to do work in a conservation area

what if it is going to change the street scene, i know if I rendered my house it would stand out like a sore thumb, and make the whole street look bad.

If there was a row of houses in a conservation area and you were changing the look of one, it would stand out and change the whole look of the area. Also if you were building a house in the same area and all houses were brick you wouldnt get planning to have one that was rendered or you would get opposition from people and maybe planning, to make what you are building fit in with the rest of the properties.

what if it is going to change the street scene, i know if I rendered my house it would stand out like a sore thumb, and make the whole street look bad.
Go the the portal of your local authority and you will find the info on there, you can also ring planning if you feel the need to check. planning is for building houses/flats/change of use of same, change of use or building shops/pubs etc and lots of infrastructure stuff..

Didn't seen to matter a fook when Jack and Vera got that stone cladding on their house so i would just do it and be damned :RpS_thumbup:

So say I rendered my house (which Im not) and the neighbours etc didnt like it do the authorities have any power for removal?

John the planning portal still does not really answer the question as I wouldnt call rendering a minor improvement and the materials wouldnt really be of similar appearance.

So say I rendered my house (which Im not) and the neighbours etc didnt like it do the authorities have any power for removal?
As Johniosaif says, it depends if your house is listed or in a conservation area. If you are then I would say they would have the power to get you to remove it and make good.

put it this way i have rendered countless houses down the years and i have never heard of or been called back to anywhere to take it off as said before if it aint in conservation area or listed you can render it paint it pink and put bit red polka dots on if you want. i know of countless houses in built up areas that are painted some colours you wouldn't believe.

put it this way i have rendered countless houses down the years and i have never heard of or been called back to anywhere to take it off as said before if it aint in conservation area or listed you can render it paint it pink and put bit red polka dots on if you want. i know of countless houses in built up areas that are painted some colours you wouldn't believe.

I agree. If it ain't listed or in a conservation area you can do what the f**k you want....................dashing is a bit much though.

LOL you cant do what you want and you cant paint spots if you felt the need wether its in a conservation area or not im sure if you got home tonight and your neighbour has painted their house with polka dots im sure you would be onto planning.

LOL you cant do what you want and you cant paint spots if you felt the need wether its in a conservation area or not im sure if you got home tonight and your neighbour has painted their house with polka dots im sure you would be onto planning.
About 10 years or so ago while i was still living in t'big city :RpS_lol: there was a woman who in an area of sunderland where they all like to think they are a bit better painted her house about 10 different colours and i'm talking individual bricks. The local planning tried and were unsuccessful in their attemp to get her to paint the house all one colour.

Planning permission isn't required in most areas like mentioned, but what you do have to watch is building regs ! they apply to every home and its this you have to watch because they can make you install Ewi or other measures if the thermal values of the house your rendering is not up to scratch, I've only heard of a few cases of the council getting involved and stopping rendering due to this but you never know !
Im not to sure if this only applies to re rendering opposed to rendering a house that has never had render on, does anybody else know ?

About 10 years or so ago while i was still living in t'big city :RpS_lol: there was a woman who in an area of sunderland where they all like to think they are a bit better painted her house about 10 different colours and i'm talking individual bricks. The local planning tried and were unsuccessful in their attemp to get her to paint the house all one colour.

I remember something similar might be the same thing, there was a planning program on for a few weeks a while back and there was a fella on it who had painted the george cross on his house and the planning made him get rid.

Planning permission isn't required in most areas like mentioned, but what you do have to watch is building regs ! they apply to every home and its this you have to watch because they can make you install Ewi or other measures if the thermal values of the house your rendering is not up to scratch, I've only heard of a few cases of the council getting involved and stopping rendering due to this but you never know !
Im not to sure if this only applies to re rendering opposed to rendering a house that has never had render on, does anybody else know ?

I think this only applies if you hack off a certain percentage of your rendering or you are building a new extension which is to be rendered.

But he's not planning on painting it in polka dots, he just wants to render it. Cannot see a problem if its not listed or in a cons area.

Some bloke near me used to have a light up near sign which u cud read in the day which said 'keep your feet firmly in the clouds' on his roof and his house painted pink with mad faces on it ! Been there 4 years and ppl don't like it all guess not successful. . . . .

When I put planning in for my extensions on my place I wanted to k rend and use a certain roof tile ,to match my garage as had rendered that and change the roof tiles to tidy it up (did it with no planning permission) they said I could not render my bungalow or use the same tiles on my garage, it had to be done in brick so ended up taking what was left of old brickwork down and replaced new skin of brickwork round existing place so it didn't look like extensions everywhere there a nightmare just cause no other place down our street was rendered

If the property is leasehold and you want to alter the appearance of it then you may need permission of the lease holder.

If it is already rendered and you are replacing more than 25% of it then you need to apply for building regs. Solid walls means either internal or external insulation.

We have been caught 3 times but the Council take it up with the house owner not you. Lucky for me they had cavity's and insulation was in so it was a case of fill in a form and pay £96.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.